Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Things my daughter says...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the past couple of nights, my wife has been watching Netflix in the lounge room (where my practice area normally is), so I've been grabbing my guitar and disappearing down to our bedroom at the other end of the house so I can practice without disturbing her.

I've been working on learning Nanea Kou Maka I Ka Le`ale`a from Mark Nelson's Oldtime Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar book for the past few days and spent about 45 minutes working on it last night. It's coming along reasonably well.

This morning, my wife was walking our six year old daughter to school and when they past our neighbour's house, they heard the sound of piano coming out (our new neighbour is a piano teacher). My daughter turns to my wife and said, "I woke up last night and could hear beautiful guitar music. Then I went back to sleep."

So, an unexpected confidence boost from the small person :) I must doing something right :)

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  04:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Music, thus becomes part of the environment.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Nanea Kou Maka I Ka Le`ale`a, Ray Kane's version...I play quite often, various tempos, one of my favorite songs ever!!...once you get it down, you won't be able to stop.
Nice that your daughter described it that way, your own kids can be your toughest audience. :-)
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  05:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But how old will she be before you let her know the words/meaning of the song? <VEG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  1:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to learn them and understand them myself first :)

The book I'm learning it from only has the music.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  06:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

malihini
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out huapala.org for hundreds of hawaiian songs and translations.It's a wonderful site.Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  5:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... wanders over and has a read...

<George Takei>Oh my...</George Takei>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic