Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you play today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  02:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife took the kid out for a long walk this early morning, so after my coffee I picked up the guitar and shed over Pu'uanahulu and Manuela Boy.

What did you guys play today?

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  07:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played Imi Au Ia 'Oe in taropatch w/C bass on '44 0-18 so far, more or less following Keola's ver tho' he uses a different C tuning
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  08:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not played yet today (running errands) but my intent is to work through my entire ki hoalu repertoire later. That takes about an hour for the songs, plus re-tuning time. I use G taropatch, F taropatch, F Wahine, Keola's C, and a couple of other tunings.

One of my Taylor guitars currently has some aging strings on it, and that is a good time to work through all the tunings. It tends to kill fresh strings to tune them up and down repeatedly.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  12:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I practiced the uke a bit this afternoon. I sometimes get together with a friend during my lunch hours to pluck out some tunes. I keep a Backpacker at the office and on jam days I'll bring in my uke. So this afternoon I put on the metronome and played through some simple changes on the ukulele in preparation.

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  6:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked on Gabby's "Kiho'alu" in C6th Maunaloa tuning. Hit a wall so I wandered off & played almost my whole repertoire in that tuning.
"Pu'uanahulu"
"Hi'ilawe"
"Makee Ailana"
"Waikiki Hula"
"Royal Hawaiian Hotel"
"Na Makani Eha"
"Nani Wai'aleale

Then I switched guitars to play some songs in Taropatch G.
"Radio Hula"....Learned it 40 years ago but it's still evolving
"Ku'u ipo onaona"
"Slack Key Hula" Same chord progression & tempo as "Ku'u ipo onaona.
Then slide into "Wai oki aniani" Same chords, just flip the G & C
BTW "Ka'a'ahi Kahului" has the same chord progression & tempo as "Wai oki aniani"

Also went to Drop C capoed up to D for "Maunaloa" and "Pua Hone" Was messing around trying to figure out Martin Pahinui's rendition of "Ahulili" Made a lot of progress.

The above is a normal practice session for me. I don't see it as a burden but a pleasure instead.I do this almost daily. Then when I get bored or my fingers hurt, I grab my Koaloha tenor uke for some strumming & singing.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  8:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured out "Sweet Lei Mokihana" in G in G Taropatch a while back, then found that it's easier to play in G Taropatch in C. I hope to get it on YouTube bumbye.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lately every time I pick up the guitar "Beautiful Kaua`i" comes out. Don't know how it got in there but it's a pushy little song that just won't leave me alone. And I've been trying to develop some variations on "Holo Wa`a Pa" - need a good canoe song and I love those old swing progressions.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  2:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon I got home early from the salt mines and rustled up the wife to strum the uke while I played slack key. (She's a pro musician, and a good sport who'll accompany me). We did some simple progressions (I's and V's; and I's, IV's, V's) while the baby played on the floor mat. Player until dinner time. Had a blast.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  4:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just playing vamps can be beneficial. As Slipry1 says, "Play a vamp, play a tune..........."
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  3:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Koali and 'Imi Au Īa 'Oe have been haunting me the past few days.....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh Kory,

About 80% of "Nanea Kou Maka Le'ale'a" is vamps & tags if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6uN0zfm4o

I don't play it but it sounds so simple i could probably figure it out in 5 minutes or less.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  06:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be going to a bluegrass jam this afternoon, where we will play for about 3 hours. My fingers will be too sore to do any slack-key until tomorrow sometime.

They crowd typically requests the Iz version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - me on guitar and voice, my wife's flute playing along. We do a decent job with that song. That is the closest we will get to Hawaiian music today.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played over I-V progressions in taro patch tuning this afternoon. I've been working on turning my right hand a bit to attack the strings more perpendicular and get more volume. Playing in a small apartment, I've gotten in the bad habit of playing too quietly and I'm trying to remedy that.

No particular tunes, just going back and forth between I's and V's and riffing on rainy a day.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  2:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Eh Kory,

About 80% of "Nanea Kou Maka Le'ale'a" is vamps & tags if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6uN0zfm4o

I don't play it but it sounds so simple i could probably figure it out in 5 minutes or less.

I learned to play that tune from Mark Nelson's "Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" book. After only stepping up from Ozzie's book, it certainly challenged me quite a bit. I still haven't gotten it 100% smooth (there's a couple of phrases I continually stuff up), but on the whole it's a neat tune.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  4:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Now I remembah wea I wen get da tune! I play'em! I get da CD. Too much tunes!
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  04:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night and this morning I worked on learning Punahele. I don't have the tabs, doing my best by ear.

Happy Mother's Day!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000