Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you play today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  2:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark Hanson's Masters book has Punahele tabbed. If you can't find it anymore email me and we'll work out something.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  07:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Terry!!! Cool that you offered to hook up 12toneman with Punahele tabs. I've got Punahele in PDF & the TabEdit program that I'm willing to share also. Just email me at "dukedoming58 @ yahoo.com" and I'll hook you up with that and more material, 12toneman
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  09:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the version of Punahele that was done for Slack Tracks. Maybe a little easier than Mark Hanson's.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gave the wrong email address above Almost 60 years old & I misspell my own name. I left the "o" off of Domingo. You'd think I'd be more accurate since I type so slowly & only with my 2 index fingers. Oh well, I'm an old fart so we're allowed more leeway

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  2:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Gave the wrong email address above Almost 60 years old & I misspell my own name. I left the "o" off of Domingo. You'd think I'd be more accurate since I type so slowly & only with my 2 index fingers. Oh well, I'm an old fart so we're allowed more leeway

Lol-- it's all good, we figured it out in the end.

Thank you, Duke and chunky monkey, for passing on your versions of Punahele. I'm off to practice and compare the two!
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Sand and worked on Punahele
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  09:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a nice comfy and breezy evening last night, so after a bike ride I sat on the back porch swing and played through almost all of my slack-key repertoire, for about 90 minutes. Boy, do I need more practice! I kept inserting the wrong section of songs into the middle of another. Interesting results sometimes.

I'm kinda inspired by that so I intend to play more today after the lawn is mowed.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  03:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working up Makee 'Ailana for tomorrow...getting together with Claudia for some music making. Very excited!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  03:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool that you're getting together with Claudia. Give her a hug from me will you?

Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a while last night working some more on Liloa's Mele. I'm getting there with it.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's bluegrass jam night, and those evening jams go on about three hours. So I probably won't be playing much slack-key today.

Incidentally, most of my (limited) banjo knowledge is due to playing slack-key in taro patch tuning. Banjo is typically tuned gDGBD, so four of the strings and the chord shapes match. So I can pick up a banjo and not embarrass myself too badly.... other than by holding a banjo
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  10:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't posted in ages. I am glad to see that there is interest in rebirthng the patch. In the last few weeks I have been getting ready for George's Camp. Anybody out there going too? This morning I started with a medley I have been working on that joins Kaneohe with Kuu Lei Poina Ole (after the version by Ozzie on his first Dancing Cat). Then I did Ke Anoi in memory of Martin since I learned it from his CD. Then I visited You tube to see some things by Kawika Kahiapo, and ran into O Oe Io again so I played and sang that. Then started playing Na Pua Lei Ilima couldn't remember the worked so broke out my copy HE Mele and sang along for the first time. Is there hope for geezers being able to sing?

Aloha Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  10:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a gig for a grad party Sunday June 4th & here's what we played:

Hokulea Star of Gladness
Hi'ilawe
Mapuna Ka Hala O' Kailua
Makee Ailana
Kuilima
Koke'e
Ku'uipo Onaona
Nani Wai'ale'ale
Ku'u Home O' Kahalu'u
Ku'u Lei Awapuhi
Crystal Chandeliers aka All I Have To Offer
Holei
Ka Uluwehi O' Ke Kai
Hawaii '78
Wai Oki Aniani
Na Makani Eha
Aia I Ka Maui
Henehene Kou Aka
Koali
Waimanalo Blues
Hilo One
I Kona
Noho Paipai

Might have been a few more songs. The above list are the ones I remember. Good fun. 4 piece band. 2 slack key guitarists, uke player & an awesome guitarist who sacrificed to pull bass for us. No practice or rehearsals, just kanilapila off the cuff.

Just realized all 4 guys in the band put together the night before the gig are all 'Patch members

Duke Domingo-sirduke58--Slack key guitar, uke & lead vocals
Jonathan Castillo-kealohalaniinc--Slack key guitar, lead & harmony vocals
Samson AMS-olu143--ukulele (tiple & 4 string) Lead & harmony vocals
Shawn Machida-s.m.80808--Bass.

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2017 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's going to be 100° today (and for several days to come) which is way too hot for this ex-pat Alaskan. All the outdoor activities and chores have been taken care of early, and my plan is to get out the koa / spruce Taylor GS and play my entire slack-key repertoire while sitting in front of a fan indoors.

We are also now well ensconced in the local kani ka pila at Hula Hands Restaurant. It was wonderful to see the reaction of the aunties when we played songs like "Wahine Ilikea" and "He Punahele", plus I threw in a few slack-key tunes too. I don't think they get to hear those songs done live very often around Idaho.... and we are so honored to be adopted as part of the ohana!

I've also copied Sir Duke's set as a "to learn" list, to better flesh out my repertoire. Now to find my copy of the He Mele songbook and get to work....
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  02:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 5-day weekend...My goal was to work up Opihi Bounce during this time. So I've been into that the last couple of days.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000