Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
147 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  3:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Eynowd,

If you do connect with Ozzie, make it worth the trip. Schedule 2 or 3 hours at least and go there with a plan on what you want to learn. If you do connect, let him know what you'd like to do in advance so that he can prepare. I always thought Ozzie shied away from doing videos, but when I was there he suggested it; I wasn't prepared. Video him if you can. Ozzie likes to "talk story". See if Duke can get in touch with him. Ozzie's place is a little hard to find.

I've already been in touch with Duke, and given him him (Australian) mobile number to pass onto Oz. I just haven't heard back since then. I know Ozzie's a busy guy, so I don't want to hassle him too much.

As I said, it'd be great if I could get a lesson, but if it doesn't work out, it's OK too. If it does work out, I do have a little Canon camera that shoots HD video, and a Zoom field recorder for recording decent audio.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  12:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff,
I visited Ozzie at his home (beware, his Mom lives down the street, but she was lovely and guided me in the right path). I have had several lessons from him.

He pointed out several things I could improve upon just by listening to me play. Of course, I did the dumb thing an played one of his cover songs...

** For example, I had a thumbpick on and he thought I could obtain a better touch and a wider array of tonality by learning to use the flesh and also fingernail of my thumb -- I was only trying to master the alternating bass lines...

I wish I had a video of the personal lessons, but I think my memories are far richer.

As an aside, see if you can get a lesson from Peter Medeiros in Kaneoe -- after all, he is a college professor in Hawaiian Music.
Kapena Mika'ele

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Medeiros knows plenty history and has a great touch. Worthwhile to meet him, talk story, learn....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000