Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kauaʻi fun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  08:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been on Kaiaʻi since Tuesday, sat in with Haunani Kaui and Aunty Bev at Tahiti Nui. Also met up with seattle hula kumu Aunty Manu and local kumu Vern.
Then Kauaʻi Steel Guitar Festival (KSGF) kickoff Thursday eve.
2 days of steel with evening jams. I had a set in the low-rent part of the program, which I “survived”.....
Aloha Music Camp starts this afternoon (Sunday).
Not comfortable jamming with steel yet, but the fiddle is full speed ahead.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hō! Aloha Music Camp is ending. Had hoʻike last night. Sang and played Auntie Aliice’s Ka Manu on the fiddle with Jeff Peterson’s guitar class, By-bye Blues with Alan Akaka’s Steel class, and for Keola Beamers class, played No Ke ʻAno Ahiahi on the fiddle after introducing it by playing a nose flute i built to pitch during the week. On to ʻOahu!

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  04:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sooooo jealous. And really miss going to AMC.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get one beeeg box & UPS yourself <VEG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

Hō! Aloha Music Camp is ending. Had hoʻike last night. Sang and played Auntie Aliice’s Ka Manu on the fiddle with Jeff Peterson’s guitar class, By-bye Blues with Alan Akaka’s Steel class, and for Keola Beamers class, played No Ke ʻAno Ahiahi on the fiddle after introducing it by playing a nose flute i built to pitch during the week. On to ʻOahu!

Nice one, Mark. Wish I was in Hawaii right now myself.

Out of interest, how does AMC compare with Uncle George's workshop? Better? Different? Similar?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Edited by - Eynowd on 03/10/2020 12:20:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  05:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Email sent privately, Geoff.

I cannot speak to how Aloha Camp compares to Uncle George's camp. When we were still living in Alaska and in a mode to travel, George's camps always occurred during the summer. It did not make much sense to spend thousands of $$$ to leave a tourist destination -- people spend thousands to visit Alaska -- and during the limited good weather. So we never went.

Neeej, we often joke about giving me a pill and putting me in a kennel to ship. It is the only way I'm EVER going on a commercial airliner again.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SKYPE! There is a delay but communication on a SciFi scale is possible. Or try call.....
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I cannot speak to how Aloha Camp compares to Uncle George's camp. When we were still living in Alaska and in a mode to travel, George's camps always occurred during the summer. It did not make much sense to spend thousands of $$$ to leave a tourist destination -- people spend thousands to visit Alaska -- and during the limited good weather. So we never went.

I can relate to that.

Thankfully for us, June is the middle of our winter. So it was nice to escape the sub-zero Celsius temperatures in the morning for Hawaii's tropical weather for a couple of weeks last year.

We'd do it again in a heartbeat, if it wasn't so prohibitively expensive for us to all go like we did last year.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  06:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

SKYPE! There is a delay but communication on a SciFi scale is possible. Or try call.....

Skyping the whole week of Aloha Camp does not seem feasible.... Sitting at my computer is just not the same as kanikapila and classes on Kauai.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  07:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the great wet grey after this amazing music adventure....
ʻOahu Epilogue....
We left Kaua'i right after AMC closing ceremony and went to 'Oahu, in time to make it to Honeyʻs at Ko'olau where Led Ka'apana (just back from tour) was playing, along with his sisters. And I got to sit in with him on a few tunes! What an honor (and challenging!). (Will post when stuff gets downloaded.)
Then the next day went to a great kanikapila hosted by Duke (of gargantuan notoriety on this forum). Kani+Grinds=Hau'oli!
Topped it all off with an in-person kika kila lesson from Alan Akaka.

All-in-all, quite an experience. I was gratified and humbled by tūtūʻs coming up to me and saying how much they enjoyed and missed the sound of the fiddle in Hawaiian music. Some had memories of it being played in their families. I feel energized to continue my exploration of the Hawaiian fiddle voice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000