Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 what resources for isolated person in bay area...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
specifically for now, we need to find and get her supplies( all the stuff we all need and can't get. Are there Meal-on Wheels ? for delivery for seniors who are marginally functional...,

most pressing would be the usual suspects:
Our best non-Taropatch friend could help get it to her:

Easy to digest/chew food, toilet paper (she's got 3 rolls, and that's not going to last!) She thinks she'll just go across International Blvd. to the quick mart across the street--sheeya) and We need to help this close relative, but we can't fly out for awhile...both the general Shelter in place, and we both have some temporary health issues...shoulder surgery for me, and a sinus infection for my wife.

Our person of interest is not tuned in to the gravity of the current situation...and virtually isolated. Living Off International Blvd. She's difficult to reason with, but she's family.
any ideas or resources, (churches, or social service organizations)
She's near 19th and Foothills/International Blvd. area. (yea, my favorite too)
One friend was out looking yesterday, and of course stores are wiped out. We tried to explain to her, and she doesn't know that a difficult commute by bus to her usual places may find NOTHING.
If you have suggestions, perhaps better to send me a private email via Taropatch.? Or if you know me, call me! Mahalo, and Aloha
Thanks for listening. Now back to the Ice.
And return to hope. This will not prevail in the long-run.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/18/2020 08:02:37 AM

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sympathies. We are quite close with our neighbors on both sides (we feed their dog when they travel, and they feed our cats when we are gone). So if needed we can support each other.

Ideally a neighbor could help. But if there is no one in her neighborhood who might step in, the only suggestion I have is to use Amazon Prime to remotely drop-ship the basics to her. Meals on Wheels is another option, but I know nothing about that. Most restaurants have closed their dine-in but they can still do take out or will deliver. And they really appreciate the business right now.

This surreal situation reminds me of the old Chinese proverb / curse: May you live in interesting times. We used to live in Alaska, at the far end of the supply chain for everything. I recall 25 years ago when rumors hit Anchorage that one of the cargo containers had washed overboard and there would be no toilet paper for a couple of weeks. All the store shelves were cleaned out within hours. It was all rumor, fortunately. But being in earthquake country, we were always aware of our precarious status, and routinely kept 30 days worth of durable foods and a couple of cases of MRE's on hand, just in case of emergency.

We will all get through this, but some discomfort and inconvenience loom on the horizon. Best wishes for her.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And what I really need is friends, and even lone-wolves need contact! This is a sea-change, more than 9-11

For example, I'm retired, but all schools are being run with internet hookups...and I bet students are gonna be saying, "What is this?" "Why can't we do this, or that?" and being wise adults with experience we can answer, "dunno".
And without school routines, Parents really have their hands full...and everything, it could make some people stir-crazy. but not me...;lkdojkgoke[Pele;le wow

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/18/2020 7:06:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  04:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Received your email, Kapila Kane. Perhaps we can all reach out more here on da 'patch and satisfy the craving for contact. And practice more.

Paradoxically I am having one of the busiest work weeks in the past year, and my engineering work has nothing to do with health care. Just by chance everything is due at once. Our personal routine is upset. Our ukulele club meets and performs at a senior center 4X per month - closed. Our tai chi classes were held at a senior center - closed. Several of us got together in a local park to practice yesterday and also plan to today. And my favorite salad bar & pizza buffet restaurant (I go for the salad bar, really) is struggling to keep the dine-in open. Strange times indeed..... but it will get better.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are are trying to keep positive. Be realistic, and while not "Pollyanna-ish" Are working to "Be Happy in Place."
Streamed/Listened to Lawrence's show on KKUP, Mele O' Hawaii--KKUP Cupertino this morning...
So Music, outdoor walks, and Tai-Chi are a sample of the Rx.
Can't play for awhile (shoulder surgery on last day it was allowed...
but still look at my tabs, music, and LISTEN! Peace through Music and Kindness.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2020 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening is more than 1/2 the job!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  09:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you come to some resolution for the problem? I imagine that things have not become better in the last couple of weeks. This too shall pass.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000