Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 2021 - Howzit!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many you guys playing more ki ho'alu at home 'cause of da 'rona?

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  05:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ONLY playing kī hō'alu at home with da 'rona (sigh). I have been playing along with facebook/zoom/youtube sessions from various artists, which helps, but is no substitute for in-person kanikapila.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  09:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still rotate through ki hoalu among my other guitar and ukulele playing. I too miss kanikapila, but we will resume ukulele jam circles in the backyard once it gets warm enough to play outdoors again, in a few weeks.

It has been awfully quiet here in da 'Patch lately.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it has been quiet here. Going to be moving in March to new house on a private airfield with great kanikapila spaces. In the meantime, packing and playing along with on-line performances....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I envy you living on an airfield, especially if you live above or next to your own hangar. I always wanted to do that back when we were flying. In Anchorage a hangar routinely cost more than the plane. Alas, my PIC days are history. It is just as well that we did not buy into a fly-in community when we moved back to America.

My slack-key playing has been limited lately. I have a new guitar that is exceptionally sensitive to string type, so I am fully occupied testing different string types in standard tuning. As a set is nearly dead and ready for replacement anyway, I start working through my alternate tuning repertoire. Tuning up and down quickly kills the tone of strings, so I either keep a guitar dedicated to a given tuning, or work through my various tunings at the end of useful string life.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  05:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got out my one remaining koa guitar and played it for an hour last night. Mostly I play my array of carbon fiber guitars these days, but it was nice to touch base with wood again.

Tomorrow will be backyard guitar and ukulele club jams in the afternoon, with nice sunny weather expected.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played on FB with Kermet, and also backed him up at a gig for Alaska Air Lines (5 stewardesses were hula dancers). Good to jam and play.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2021 :  09:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am SO sunburned today on my face. The guitar buddies came over before 1 pm, then the ukulele club showed up at 3 pm. We played in the sunny backyard until after 5 pm, totaling 4½ hours for me. I forgot my sunscreen, and coming out of winter had not spent more than 90 minutes outdoors for several months. Today I am paying the price.
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  07:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see at least a little activity here. The majority of this forum looks like it's on life-support.
I still play slack-key on '20 0-18K, will often tune to slack on whichever other guitar's in-hand on a given day too. We had our 2nd jabs 2 wks ago but are still being cautious. Spring is springing in AZ tho'!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, it's pretty quiet here these days. But a few of us keep it going.

My wife and I are both vaccinated (my second shot is next week but she got a one-shot J & J version six weeks ago). She is on the plane back from Phoenix right now. It was the first time in a year that she was able to visit her mom in the nursing home, so she took the opportunity while it was there.

I envy you playing a 1920 O-18K - that must be really sweet! I have a couple of guitars dedicated to alternate tunings, and they get most of my ki ho'alu time. As a set of strings nears the end of its tonal life, I work though all seven of my tunings on one guitar because there is nothing left to lose tonally on that set. Going between tunings is a skill unto itself.
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2021 :  7:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha folks,
I haven't been on the Patch in a very, very long time.
After a long time not touching the guitar, I've been diving into some C Mauna Loa these days & watching YouTubes of Dennis, and watching/listening to the few videos of Sonny that are out there.
I've been reflecting again lately on how fortunate I've been to have had the teachers and workshop opportunities and Hawaiian music in my life.
We are blessed!
Got the 1st Pfizer a couple weeks ago and looking forward to seeing some peeps again soon!
Ross
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2021 :  05:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whee!...a long list for me to read at this check-in <GGG> I haven't had anything to post about, but am keeping an eye on y'all.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2021 :  08:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you Neej. I actually picked up the phone to call you last weekend, but realized that it was probably too late in the evening, even with the favorable time change in your direction. We hope things are well there. I've been playing a fair amount of ki ho'alu lately, trying to keep my chops up. Our ukulele club has now been invited back into the Senior Center to perform 4X per month again after a 14 month time out - with proof of vaccination for all players.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2021 :  10:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thumbs and I had a great session with Gary Medeieros on Saturday afternoon. It took a bit of time for me to iron out the kinks, but, man it was fine to get back to playing.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2021 :  11:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was an outdoor jam in big plastic bubbles and a sound system. Felt like SciFi!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2021 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Holy @ #$! This is like old times. It's so good to see all of your user names. Wow!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000