Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 2021 - Howzit!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2021 :  06:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha. I am so happy to finally be on this site. Mahalo to Andy for helping me get registered. I've been able to read your messages but not post anything until now. I grew up on Oahu but have been away except for visits for many years. I began playing Slack Key about 10 months ago and am learning through JamPlay and Mark Kailana Nelson. It's really the only style I am playing right now. I feel like I am progressing but still a long way to go.

Any way so happy to join this Ohana and look forward to interacting with everyone. Mahalo, Ron

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2021 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you here, rleach. My intro to slack key was also through Mark Nelson, at a music festival in Alaska of all places. I have worked through some of his Jam Play lessons too. Because of the intro by Mark, I ended up going to Aloha Music Camp three times, and taking some classes from him at other guitar camps. I have also used Keoki Kahumoku's videos through The Guitar Workshop (www.theguitarworkshop.com) and others like Ozzie Kotani's book and DVDs. (www.ozziekotani.com)

Welcome to the journey!
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2021 :  02:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Earl. I like Marks style of teaching. For me, his un-pretentious style and self deprication is what I enjoy. I envy you for going to the Aloha camp. I hope to do something like that some day. If you dont mind me asking how advanced of a player were you when you went? Have a great day.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm proud to say that Mark is one of my dear friends. I've accompanied him on steel many times. and hung out with him too many times to count! He's a great guy, but he doesn't abide a fool!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack. That's awesome to hear. What an impressive profile you have. I see you are up in the PNW. Great place. I have a brother in law in Coupeville on Whidby Island. Love that area. Thanks for your post. Ron
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I'm proud to say that Mark is one of my dear friends. I've accompanied him on steel many times. and hung out with him too many times to count! He's a great guy, but he doesn't abide a fool!

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  11:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you posted. Let's keep posting so others who occasionally peek in will see more and more activity. You tube is def a help. I also listen to all the Slack KEy stations on Pandora and Spotify.
quote:
Originally posted by rossasaurus

Aloha folks,
I haven't been on the Patch in a very, very long time.
After a long time not touching the guitar, I've been diving into some C Mauna Loa these days & watching YouTubes of Dennis, and watching/listening to the few videos of Sonny that are out there.
I've been reflecting again lately on how fortunate I've been to have had the teachers and workshop opportunities and Hawaiian music in my life.
We are blessed!
Got the 1st Pfizer a couple weeks ago and looking forward to seeing some peeps again soon!
Ross

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000