Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Beamer & Nelson: Learn How to Play Hawaiian Slack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  11:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  10:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Andy, you give it an intermediate/advanced rating while I called it good for a basic beginner's book. I see short songs without a lot of confusing frills as what a beginner needs. You like to see all the frills tabbed out because a beginner may not see how to add their own improvisation touches to the song.

This would be a good book to work through with a teacher or with experienced friends who could suggest some extras and where they might go.

If you start this book as a beginner, you won't be by the time you get to the end of it, for sure!

BTW, this book comes with a sewn binding but I've seen it with a spiral binding so the pages lie flat. I ordered mine over the net, Amazon?, and got the sewn binding; no choice was offered.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/25/2003 10:29:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  11:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pauline, I think I know where Andy is coming from, rating it intermediate/advanced. I use it off and on to tune up what little chops I have because of Keola's choice of notes in his arrangements.

Where both Ozzie and Ron Loo arrange so that (mostly always) your left hand is in a very good position to move on to the next chord or series of notes or, even, right where they ought to be for the next measure, Keola doesn't. Keola goes with the melody *and* forces techniques, just as he does in live instruction. "Simple" songs, such as Pa`ahana and Küwili, have tricky little pickups and movements along one string that *must* be done *smoothly* to sound good. If you haven't noticed yet, Keola is a Bear about connectedness and choosing notes that allow previously played notes to ring. In fact, this is how he defines nahenahe. His Hula o Makee is not really easy, although it looks as if it ought to be - even Sarah has to work hard at it. Note the C chord ornaments and, in the 9th through 11th measures, the leap backward from the 7/5 sixth to a 4-7 hammer on the first string and then a flip of the fingers to 5/4 sixth and then a slide that jumps to a pulloff on the first string. That is not easy for me to do smoothly.

Ironically, one song that looks hard, Mark's Matt's Bounce, is really quite straightforward - the variations are logical and occur in much the same form in many other slack key pieces. Mark, himself, has remarked that at least one of the more complex of Keola's pieces in the book was somewhat tough for him.

Nonetheless, I value it just because it is different and challenging for me.

...Reid the Hack
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  06:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a novice to slack key, and a got the Keola Beamer as my first book, I think the book is great ,alots of information and tunes, but one problem that I could'nt folow the musics with the CD they not mach the timing on the book, I red the Tablature I reconized and learned two songs, maybe I have a problem with this CD ?
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  09:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sergio,

What you said about timing is a bit confusing. Do you mean that not all the printed songs are on the CD? If so, you are right, but there is an additional table of contents for the CD.

If you mean that the printed music timing (in eighth notes, quarter notes, etc.) don't quite match the music timing exactly on the CD, then you are also *mostly* right because Keola and Mark meant the printed music to be a *guide*, not slavishly folowed, and they say so in the text. In fact, I rarely hear notes played as printed in slack key. And, it is very difficult to cram a folk art into a standard notation's idea of rigidity - transcriptions of played works rarely capture the timing of a performance. Remember, slack key is not meant to slavishly follow a composer's supposed ideal.

If I missed your meaning entirely, please elaborate.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  11:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I understand Sergio, this underlines what Reid and Andy said about that book not being for beginners, with which I agree. Sergio, you might want to try starting with Oziie Kotani's book -- in my opinion still the best "first" book.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly, I think Mark mentioned once that the tab in this book is meant to be more of series of sketches upon which the reader is meant to paint in the details of the songs. (I don't think he was as eloquent.)

So as Raymond states, if you want something that holds your hand and leaves nothing to chance then Ozzie is definitely the way to go for your first steps.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000