Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Leonard Kwan: Slack Key Instruction Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig & Raymond,

Once again, thank you for your generous info. That's what I like about this site, I always come away with more than I expected. I just hope I can give back in some way too. I'll check out both of your suggestions.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

misterpk
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  5:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Send misterpk an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi to everyone here. I just started playing slack key a few weeks ago (been playing guitar for over a year, and trombone since I was 12). I've flown through Keola beamer's online stuff (I know its easy), and was looking to collect as much literature as I can about slack key. I grew up in Hawaii, and moved to the mainland about 9 years ago. I didn't really get into hawaiian music until I moved.

Does any one know where I can get a copy of this book? I would love to get my hands on this, as I hope to be able to power through these some day in the future!

-Nick
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  6:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jiro might have one.
http://www.slack-key.com/item_book.html

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

misterpk
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  8:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Send misterpk an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dusty! It appears that he might have one. Is the site in Japanese? I can't understand any of it...
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's in Japan. His email address is on the page. Just write and ask him. He knows English.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

misterpk
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  8:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send misterpk an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help Dusty. I'll give that a try!
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  04:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the last post to this in 2004, have fellow slackers lost interest in this book? Why with all the interest have these books gone and stayed out of print. Not just this one, but all the others that have gone out of print. When I see these great sources, I have to wonder why no one has published them again. Someone needs to get a hold of the copywrite and reprint these great books. Maybe in modern tab? Let me know if you have any or any ideas?

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Red Book is an excellent resource. I have several of the songs from this book in my repetoire. However, since the tablature is different from what I am comfortable with, it can be a chore to get to the point of playing the song well. Not sure you will "in financial terms", find enough interest to republish.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At one point I looked into republishing Ray Kane's book but the copyright holder had no interest in selling the rights or doing anything to get it republished. I never got a straight answer as to why.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  05:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was studying with Peter Moon almost forty years ago, he made me study the Red Album. So I learned all of the songs on it. Several of Leonard's songs from the Red Album are included in the two texts that I will release this summer. Manini is in the Methodology and the more advanced songs Opihi Moemoe, Opihi Bounce and Pau Pilikia are in the anthology. I have transcribed most of this album and am seriously considering releasing the Red Album study within the year.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  10:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,
I'm still on your mailing list, no?

Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

Yes. I think you already have a headstart on everybody else.
PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Peter,
I'm still on your mailing list, no?

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 05/13/2008 11:24:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  12:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,
There is SO MUCH material in your books. I am just now appreciating how much study, time, effort, and love you put into it. I have been working on the hula ku'i mele and trying to sing and play with the variations you demonstrate -- there is a lifetime of fun in your books.

I have taken Leonard's Red Book and hand converted some of the tab into more standard format and learning them that way. My current favorite is Nahenahe - I like the tuning and what leonard did with it -- Keala's Mele fits in there.

I'm still praying that you recover and get back to a more normal routine.
E Malama Pono,

Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

In case anyone is looking for a copy of the Red Book, there is one on abebooks.com:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2030175694&searchurl=an%3DLeonard%2BKwan%26bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D17%26sts%3Dt%26x%3D79%26y%3D9

It isn't cheap, but it is good.
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  06:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if something is "out of print", then it can legally be copied, isnt that right?

i have thought about putting this book online, I have made copies of it for myself, just in case anything happened to it, but its such a great book, i think it should be reproduced digitally and given away to all those interested.

it's the book i first began with, and i really think its one of the best books ever made.

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000