Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Mark Hanson: Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  11:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  12:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a really good book. Mark Hanson approaches Slack Key from more of a classically-trained, finger-picking perspective. It gives a little insight into the musical theory that's missing from many of the other books on the market. Not that you're required to learn any of dat stuff if you like you can just dive right into tabs for such classics as Sonny Chillingworth's "Moe `Uhane" or Led's "Radio Hula"

Note the rating of Intermediate/Advanced. This is not a beginner's book.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  2:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Mark Hanson's book is a little beyond beginning level;however, as a beginning player teetering on the edge of intermediate, I found it an exciting challenge and was inpatient to learn some of the great tunes in the book (I love "radio hula"). I would encourage any beginning player who has the basics of finger picking and reading tab to give it a try. One can always back up if the challenge becomes too frustrating but you might be surprised. Spending some quality practice time with this book will make the beginning books seem much easier to grasp.
Aloha,Jerry

Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great book! Great songs in here! I've been wanting to learn Cyril's Sanoe for quite a while, and now I am. I'm having a lot of fun with this book. Check it out!

Aloha

Danno
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah and I bought this book as soon as it came out. It is really good - even, as Jerry says, for beginners. Sarah has learned Punahele (and performed it in front of Muriel Anderson and her students last weekend) and and I - yes, even I - have learned Sonny's simpler songs from it. I also appreciated the collection of 3rds and 6ths in the beginning of every tuning in a new key. I developed 3rd and 6th warm up and practice runs for each tuning using the proper alternating bass note picking patterns. Got me lots more familiar with each collection of intervals for each tuning.

Yes, it is not exactly a note-for-note reproduction of the Dancing Cat performance. For instance, the Scopes Edition Tab of Punahele *does* contain a little vamp that Uncle Ray puts in a few times, and Hanson's didn't. But, that was a minuscule difference. Long ago, I emailed Hanson about several topics and, in his reply, he noted that it was so. We also discussed the difficulty of cramming individualistic performances of a folk music tradition into a system of notation devised for formal European Art Music composition. Waaaay Hard! He did an excellent job, overall.

One tip: the book is perfect bound and does not stay open and flat and there are many pages to each piece. Sarah devised a way of seeing the whole song and its variations that we use for very nearly everything now.

1. Photocopy the piece and cut out each row of notation into a strip.
2. Figure out, as best you can, where the theme and corresponding variations are in each section. (These are usually 10 measures long.) Cut out (vertically) those parts of the strip.
3. Cut out a piece of cardboard from a box (wine boxes work well ;-) that the strips will fit.
4. Use Scotch Brand (tm) :-) tape to tape the sections one above the other, so that the variations match (because of varying measure lengths, this won't be perfect, but it will be close).

Now you have an 18 inch to 2 1/2 foot rectangular tab/notation that can fit on a regular music stand and you can see the whole thing at once. It takes about 15 minutes to do.

Sarah went one further step with Punahele: The variation measures are scattered at irregular intervals throughout the song, so she color coded the measures in a "family" by lightly rubbing colored pencils over them - one color to a "family"

BTW, this last, and the initial examination of the song structure *really* helps in understanding and memorizing the song.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 11/23/2002 3:00:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

John Neira
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  5:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Neira's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruddah Chrispy

This is a really good book. Mark Hanson approaches Slack Key from more of a classically-trained, finger-picking perspective. It gives a little insight into the musical theory that's missing from many of the other books on the market. Not that you're required to learn any of dat stuff if you like you can just dive right into tabs for such classics as Sonny Chillingworth's "Moe `Uhane" or Led's "Radio Hula"

Note the rating of Intermediate/Advanced. This is not a beginner's book.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  05:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark - can you get someone to carry this in the UK??
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  07:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy to assist you by buying any slack key materials you'd like and shipping them to you.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

nando
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  10:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of these for sale, in good condition, if anyone is interested.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  7:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw this..and had jumped into the interested pickers for your list....was trying to pick Mark's book/cd on their scratch and dent sale at Accent...but missed the boat..

I'm interested...(just need an extra for the vault, even though I'm overextended on Things Hawaiian...at least till W sends my $300! I hope this book never goes OOP!
It's gold.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reid
One tip: the book is perfect bound and does not stay open and flat and ...

Check with your local office supply store/Kinko's/etc. Many of them do spiral binding for a pretty reasonable fee.

I am also a proud and pleased owner of this book, btw. And a couple of others by Mark Hanson, as well.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  3:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark Hanson has several books which are fine additions to one's library. (As many of you know.)

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark just sent out an email with sale on slightly used books.
http://www.accentonmusic.com/blemished.asp
However, none of this book are left.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  02:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought this book on Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. I was immediately impressed by the book and the CD along with it. What I likes in particular is that chords are gives as well. And I found the chapter 'Playing Slack Key in Taro Patch Tuning' very useful and informative.

A lot of the classics, like Radio Hula etc.

All stars given. Both thumbs up. Highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  02:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlsulle

I agree that Mark Hanson's book is a little beyond beginning level;however, as a beginning player teetering on the edge of intermediate, I found it an exciting challenge and was inpatient to learn some of the great tunes in the book (I love "radio hula"). I would encourage any beginning player who has the basics of finger picking and reading tab to give it a try. One can always back up if the challenge becomes too frustrating but you might be surprised. Spending some quality practice time with this book will make the beginning books seem much easier to grasp.
Aloha,Jerry

Exactly!! - I'll second that.
Go to Top of Page

Iakonu
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ambrosius

Bought this book on Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. I was immediately impressed by the book and the CD along with it. What I likes in particular is that chords are gives as well. And I found the chapter 'Playing Slack Key in Taro Patch Tuning' very useful and informative.

A lot of the classics, like Radio Hula etc.

All stars given. Both thumbs up. Highly recommended.

There was obviously a lot of time and attention to detail put into the transcriptions of some very classic tunes. The fact that he nailed Young Street Blues says enough on its own. This is definitely a book worth purchasing for the aspiring finger picker.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000