Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Leonard Kwan: Slack Key Instruction Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  11:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

bbauer
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  9:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbauer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have to be really good at reading tabs to use this book, since there's no tape or CD. Many of the songs are on Leonard's Dancing Cat CD, so the tabs can be useful in understanding how some of the bits are played.

Go to Top of Page

tom linden
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  7:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great instruction book but many of the songs played here are not on CD (dancing cat included). Some of Leonards LP's are available on e-Bay at reasonable prices and are helpful and sometimes necessary to make sense of the TAB. I converted the TAB in his book to the more modern version and it works quite well.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  12:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  12:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbauer

You have to be really good at reading tabs to use this book, since there's no tape or CD. Many of the songs are on Leonard's Dancing Cat CD, so the tabs can be useful in understanding how some of the bits are played.
I'm currently working on a program that allows you to type in a tabbed song on your pc, then play it back (at any speed) to hear what it sounds like. If you're interested, send me an email and I'll keep you posted on progress.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  1:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vscotth

I'm currently working on a program that allows you to type in a tabbed song on your pc, then play it back (at any speed) to hear what it sounds like.
Scott, how does your program differ from something like TablEdit?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

tsunami
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  01:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this instruction book, in fact I am looking for one since the last one that I had disappeared. From this book and the recording of the great Leonard Kwan, I was able to learn Opihi Moe Moe and Opihi Momona Nui. These are two of my favorite slack key tunes that I like to play today.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to own Leonard's red book and as a beginner, I'm trying to re-write the TAB into the more commonly seen structure. That of 6 lines rather than 5 spaces. Just easier for this kulolo-head to understand.

However, without knowing how the song patterns go in regards to repeats, I'm having difficulties. The very first song, Manini, says to repeat section A and substitue the measure shown for m7. But..... it also lists that staff as 12 -21. That would mean that I would not go all the way back to m1, but instead start over the A section at m2. Is this correct? I have little musical theory background (too much time surfing and paddling for that) so am I making the correct assumptions?

I know I should get the recently released CD with all of the music from this book. I'm sure that would help. In the mean time, I thought I'd get a jump on re-writing the TAB first.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mahalo!

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
For those of you who are interested in obtaining some "original" recordings of Leonard Kwan you might check out your local Borders. I just found a CD called "the Legendary Leonard Kwan" that was recently (2003) produced by George Winston although not under the Dancing Cat label. It is done by Cord International/Hana Ola Records. It contains 28 songs that Leonard originally recorded under the Tradewinds label. All ten songs from the book are on this CD - sorry I'm not good enough to look at the tab to verify that the songs match note for note but all the songs are there so you can listen and get a feel for the timing, flow, etc. The CD cost about $14 - pretty good deal at $0.50 a song! Apparently Cord International also has made other CDs of early Hawaiian music - check out their website at www.cordinternational.com for more. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay in responding Doug...I only just saw your post. In Manini, for example, measures 12-21 are the same as measures 1-11 except you should substitute the measure shown for measure 7. So you'll play 1-11, 1-6, new measure, 7-11. To continue, play 22-31, 1-5, two new measures on p. 20, 8-11, 42-51, 1-10, last measure on p.21. I think that's everything.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to rewrite my TABS, too -- I guess it shows you how far we've come in transcribing, thanks especially to Keola and guitarists with "TAB reading skills," entering the scene. Of course, Ozzie is the sine qua non kahuna on TABing, but he doesn't nail it down as metrically neat as does Keola. (That's as far as anyone will probably ever see me criticize Ozzie.)

Doug, also sorry I didn't see your post earlier - that (early) book is a bit confusing.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is interesting...I've rewritten a few of the tabs from Leonard's book into TablEdit on the computer. Has anyone rewritten all of them? For those of us who have the book, it would be nice to have all the tab in a more readable form without having to duplicate someone else's effort to retab.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig & Raymond,

Thank you for coming to my rescue. I did finally order and receive the CD, but upon listening to it, found it was too fast for me to follow.

Craig, thank you for the explanation of the measures. I'll have to see if I can now apply your generous suggestions to practical use. I'll assume the rest of the songs follow that same format.

I too would appreciate any help from anyone that has transcribed the tabs. Count me in!

Here's another plug for Ozzie's Book. Very well done and easy to follow. Beautiful songs too. I hope he goes on with books two and three.

Aloha!

Doug
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Doug, check out a program called Transcribe (or several others along the same vein) available for Mac or Windows. Among other things, it lets you slow down a song to 1/2 speed, 1/4 speed, or whatever you want without affecting the pitch of the notes. One of the first things I do when learning a new song is run it through this program and then either write the slowed down version to a CD or save it to my MP3 player. I highly recommend it.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  9:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another superb resource along a parallel line is the Tascam "Portable Guitar Trainer," street price around $150.
Pop in a CD - you can sample any track, or part of a track, set it to loop and play over and over as long as you want -- you can also slow it down, although you have to use one of the preset speed ratios - - does the typical slow down without changing pitch. Or you can change pitch. Or you can plug your guitar into the box and "play along" -- has lots of other digital do-dads that don't interest me.
---- Best tool I have for transcribing songs 'cause I can use the CD's as is right where I normally practice, without worrying about Hal or one of his "cousins."
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig & Raymond,

Once again, thank you for your generous info. That's what I like about this site, I always come away with more than I expected. I just hope I can give back in some way too. I'll check out both of your suggestions.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Doug
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000