Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch.net 2004 CD - reactions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Very, very impressive. The music, artwork, everything. Thanks to Craig and Sarah for spearheading this effort - and to everyone who took the time to record and contribute. I can't even fathom Craig and Sarah's efforts in getting this thing completed... uploading songs, mastering, burning CD's, printing, cutting, stapling, applying CD labels. This is not mass produced product. Every step was done by hand with a whole lot of aloha spirit.

Listening to the CD just blows me away. All these people scattered around the world playing slack key... differing styles, songs, personalities, recording methods. It's so much fun.

And really it is a pity that it isn't being shared with members who did not contribute a song. I am glad that many (if not most) of the songs will also be available at SoundClick. That's part of the reason why I'm starting this new post. Anyone who listens to the CD or online clips can post their reactions here. You are all awesome!!!

Andy

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I'll second that Andy. I just got my CD's today and was blowen away by all the talent in the Taro Patch. The CD's went right into my lap top (yes it's an Apple) and right onto my iPod. Now I can hike for two hours and enjoy everyone while getting much needed exercise.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  6:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
yup! i loaded it on my iPod and enjoyed all the songs while taking the train to santa barbara and back (dance competition). it's great to hear so many singin' songs! i love the instrumentals too.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  9:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Andy agreed got mine today. Great job to all and a big thanks go out to Craig and Sarah for butting things together Aloha Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  01:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Like many others, I've been listening to the CDs through the afternoon, enjoying everyone's take on slack key and other Hawaiian music styles. You're all so humble on the forum, but everyone involved in this project is extremely talented. Mahalo Craig and Sarah for the hard work.
Although I'm afraid to leave anyone out, here are my favorite highlights from my first couple times through the CDs:
-our esteemed admin's self-duet on "Papalina Lahilahi" Fun!
-a 12-year-old named Brennan who can play with amazing poise
-Mainkaukau's "Keiki Slack Key" with improvised percussion. 'Ono!
-Kahalenahele's old-timey "Hilo March". Very cool.
-Tim Holtwick's ragtime original "Makiki Rag". Gets the toes tappin'.
-so many great instrumentals, some within traditional slack stylings and others influenced by other styles. Each was played from the heart and that makes it an amazing collection of aloha spirit.

My favorite of all is probably Bwop's "Pie Li'ili'i". It's a beautiful original song, haunting and nahenahe. With George Kahumoku singing backup, it was icing on the cake. Maika'i kela!
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 09/14/2004 01:40:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  01:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Oops, I did leave someone out. If you've never been to a Hawaiian music workshop, you will understand what it can be like when you hear the version of "Little Grass Shack" from the 2004 Kahumoku workshop. True kanikapila energy. Awesome!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  1:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
The CD is amazing. So beautifully produced. I want to learn everything on it. Thanks so much to Craig and Sarah. Some of my favorites: Lee Tovson's version of Birdie's Slack Shake Key, Jesse Tinsley's Kanaka Waiwai and Sarah Whitaker's Pa'ani

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  1:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
I got a bonus track on my second CD. It is a very nicely played version of Maunaloa. Who is the culprit?

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  5:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Like Garson noted who did Maunaloa it was not noted on the cd great job.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Maunaloa was a last minute submission from...Dusty Foster! I decided to include it as a hidden bonus track. That makes Dusty the most prolific artist on this year's CDs with 3 tracks.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/14/2004 6:23:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Maunaloa was a last minute submission from...Dusty Foster!

However, if you don't like it, it's by Keith Marzullo

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  10:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, I'm afraid to "highlight" for fear of forgetting someone. Not to mention, that I accidentally received 2 copies of CD 1 so I'm eagerly awaiting CD 2 in the mail. But, whoa, when I heard hapakid sing - I thought I heard a vocal blend of Dennis Kamakahi and Jerry Santos.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  12:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For anyone else who would like to hear hapakid sing: Ahe Lau Makani by Jesse Tinsley

And for those who would like to hear Admin sing: Papalina Lahilahi by Andy Wang

MP3s for both songs can be downloaded from the main TaroPatch SoundClick page.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/15/2004 12:50:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I am very impressed with the results of the CD and I thank Craig and Sarah from the bottom of my heart in making all this possible. Good job all you players of music and I'm proud to "kind" of know you all. This CD is truely a Gem. Alohas...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  01:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Got my copy today -- wow!!!!
Great job Sarah & Craig --- mahalo a nui loa
Great submissions -- Material there could easily make a commercial CD ala Brotmann's Slack Key Compilations.
--- Driving errands this evening my wife said that if I were going to make a submission for the next colection then I'd better start practicing now.
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  1:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I got my copy yesterday and gave it a listen. "Wow!!!!" is my reaction too. I am really impressed by the level of musicianship. It's fun to hear other people's playing. I was also impressed by the number of really nice original compositions. Thanks Craig and Sarah for your work in putting it together.

Gary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000