Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 George Kahumoku: Taro patch tuning in G & F
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  9:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Andy,
You might want to set up thread for this DVD similar to the other threads you have. I just received it but don't have time to review it at the moment (work calls again ) but I'll be back in a little over a week and I should be able to post some review comments at that time. This DVD, like others in the series, is available from Bruce Lamb for about $25 plus shipping. As with the others that I have ordered, it arrived promptly - the only bummer is that I got called out for work again - maybe one of these days I'll buy a laptop with a DVD drive so I can take it with me - of course then I'll want a travel guitar and pretty soon the logistics of lugging all this gear around through airports (and past our friends in the TSA) will balloon to unmanageable proportions.

Clif

Info added by Admin.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Clif,

I added the info. Sorry it took me so long.

So how is the video? I do not have this one.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  8:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
No worries - I think I originally posted this when you left on vacation so there's no reason for you to apologize. On the contrary, I should be the one apologizing for not writing a review sooner. I have gotten sidetracked myself and have been busy with other tasks, however I have watched this DVD in parts and it is great for intermediate players. It doesn't come with any tabs - however there are places where George really slows things down to a note by note demonstration. The songs are taught in the traditional style - George plays and you watch. The DVD is great in seeing how George creates that "Kahumoku sound" which is different from any other styles that I have seen so far. George uses a combination picking/strumming style that currently has my fingers tied up in knots - conceptually it should be easier than picking all the notes but that's what my fingers are used to and this strumming thing is going to take some practice.

Overall I would say this is a worthwhile addition to anyone's instructional library. It adds a few songs but more importantly it will expose you to a different right hand technique. The only gripe I have and its one that seems to be with my DVD player is that there are sections on the disc that freeze or become very jerky and staccato. I've tried two different players (Sony and Toshiba) with similar results. The problem seems to be unique to the "burned" discs since other "pressed" discs (e.g. mass market movies etc) play just fine. One day I'll get my hands on a computer with a CD/DVD drive in it and test it there. (Yeah my computers are old and older and only have CD-R and CD-RW drives in them.) I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem and if so what their solution was.

Clif
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  09:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Could someone post (or email me) the tunings for each of these songs so I can update the list at http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

Mahalo.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/18/2005 9:51:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  07:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taro Patch G (DGDGBD)
1 Ho'okupu
2 Dad's Slack Key
3 Kai Hanupanupa
4 Hi'ilawe
5 Ko Kaula 'ili

Taro Patch F (CFCFAC)
1 He Punahele No 'oe
2 Ku'u Hoa
3 36 Mile Marker
4 Surfing Song

How to Jam with others (Hano Hano Hawaii)
George:Taro Patch F (Capo-II)
Keoki: Taro Patch G
Daniel Ho: Standard ukulele (GCEA)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Mika`ele! A couple of quick questions..."He Punahele No`oe" isn't listed as a song on the DVD, but George teaches it? Also, "Kai Hanupanupa" is listed as D Wahine but you're confirming that it's Taro Patch instead?

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/20/2005 08:16:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  2:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first post above is incorrect. I just went through each song again on the DVD. The DVD itself has a few typographical errors. He Punhahele No 'Oe IS on the DVD in the Key of F. Kai Hanupanupa is in Taro Patch G (not D Wahine - different DVD). Jamming is actually three performers jamming to Hano Hano Hawaii, George Kahumoku Jr, Keoki Kahumoku, and Daniel Ho. All playing in key of G with different tunings and instruments.

George also adds a few songs that modulate up from G to C and back again -- Ki'ilawe and Ko Kaula 'ili. Good practice in learning your I-IV-V7 chords in various complementary keys all in the same tuning.

He says at one point, "this is for you intermediate slack key players".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got it, thanks again.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000