Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 3D: Hawai`i Slack Key Guitar (DVD)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Has anyone else seen this video by David X. Lee, made in 2003? It requires special equipment and glasses to view it in 3D. However it has a 2D version in the DVD viewable in any player. It has scenes of Hawai`i shown over and interspersed with interviews and songs with George Kuo, Kaipo Manoa, Ray & Elodia Kane, Peter Medeiros (whose name they misspelled), Like O'Sullivan, Clay Kit-Kao, Lani, Marla & Friends and the Parker Ranch Sunday Players. It runs 73 minutes.

The scenes with Ray and Elodia are real treasures.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 06/10/2005 2:41:24 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  3:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Heya Dusty,

You beat me to it. FYI, David (dxlee38) registered at Taropatch.net last year. I only learned about his video a couple weeks ago.

It's a real unique offering with the option to be viewed in 3D. For more info visit: http://www.woodchuckprod.com

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the first I heard of it was from an ebay auction a week or two ago. I think I got the last one from Amazon (through Taropatch, of course ).

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  5:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, dxlee38 joined 2 years ago (5/9/2003). I wonder if this is a result of his master's thesis (that he spoke of in his post back then).

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I do not know what year we are in! Indeed. You are correct. And you're right that David's post came early in the project.
quote:
David X. Lee wrote:
"This unique DVD is alternating-field encoded for stereoscopic viewing and a must-have for all 3D buffs. The documentary examines the current state of Slack Key guitar playing in scenic Hawaii. Interviews with both home-grown players, professional musicians, and music professors help explain the history of this guitar style. Many traditional songs are played against a backdrop of Hawaiian beauty. Contains a 2D version for regular play."

You could link to the company web page:

http://www.woodchuckprod.com/

That way people can see the QT music clip and look at the DVD jacket. I suppose I should try and get it distributed in the islands.

This started out as my master's project (which I finished last year). I signed up on taropatch.net to see if I could make some contacts before I came over. And someone directed me to Ray and Elodia Kane--who were willing to be interviewed. So that's the connection with taropatch anyway. It all worked out great.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  3:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, Amazon has a few more in stock.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  08:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my copy in the mail and watched it (2D only). In it one of the Pahinui boys plays "The Water is Wide" - the old traditional folks song. I am trying to learn it from the video. Anyone know what tuning he is using? Which one of the Pahinui boys is it, Cyril?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000