Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 The History of the Sons of Hawaii (DVD)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  8:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Has this been mentioned here yet??? couldn't find it.

WOW. I just watched this new DVD that Bobby3Dog lent me last night(thanks Allan). I stayed home from work this AM to watch it (hee, hee, don't tell).

This is an amazing film, I LOVED it. Lots of period still photos, with some film and video interspersed, and the story is told by Eddie and those who were there, and of course, by the music itself.

Mahalo Eddie Kamae

The History of: The Sons of Hawai`i
DVD Directed by Eddie Kamae
$19.99 80 mins

Check it out on Mele.com
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2984.htm

or Mountain Apple Co.

Additional info and graphic added by Admin.

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  4:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a ton for the recommendation! I came across this on the Mele.com webste and I couldn't wait to hear what people think of. Santa's gonna hear about dis one!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  5:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you got your own copy!!

Here in Hawai`i, this film was broadcast on local TV not long ago...and I was riveted to it. Now I've got my own copy and have watched it twice -- always gleaning yet another new tidbit of information about Hawaiian music and musicians.

There is also an excellent book that was part of this "package" -- written by my Santa Cruz friend, Jim Houston. You can order it directly from the Kamae's website:
http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com/book.html
Not just a book about Uncle Eddie; it gives even _more_ music information (if that's even possible...whew!).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also of note at the Hawaiian Legacy Web site:

"The SONS OF HAWAII is the only documentary available on DVD. Other documentaries in the Series will be available in the near future. Your contribution to The Hawaiian Legacy Foundation can help make that happen. Please refer to Contribution page."

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/27/2004 10:12:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  06:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie M,

What is the region code on the DVD you're handling at mele.com?

If it's region-free, would love to score a copy to ho'omaha with during the New Year's.

Also, would greatly appreciate if you have any other worthwhile region-free stuff you can recommend.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  09:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the DVDs which are coming out of Hawai`i, can be played on any DVD -- no region specified (unlike the videos, which for the most part are either VHS or PAL).

"Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" is another worthy documentary -- finally available on DVD now, also (wu-huuuuuuu!). My first shipment sold out before I could even make mention of the new format, but a fresh supply is due again early next week.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

Will clear it with the CFO and get together an order.

FYI, Keola Beamer's "Loosen the Key" DVD is Region 1 only, the last time I checked. They said they were "considering" other region-coded versions, but haven't seen or heard of any availability.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  06:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wasn't thinking when I put this on my Christmas list. Now I am going to have to wait a month to see it!
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  11:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was planning on saving this to watch during the end-of-year break here; but since it came, thought I would just throw it on the DVD to make sure it was okay for my region. Yeah, right. Of course, ended up watching it to the end. And then, again.

This is a real gotta-have.

My only bitch with it, as with most of the stuff like this: "No show da faces! Show the fingahs!!"

Also, if you from the place and was around at that time, might want to have box of Kleenex handy...

Tanks plenty, Ross, for posting about it.

-dean

Edited by - BreezePlease on 12/12/2004 11:12:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  05:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TPer's. GET THIS DVD. It is a well-done documentary and just seeing a younger Dennis Kamakahi with blond hair is worth the price of admission. I also admit that until this came out, I didn't know how Charles Philip Pahinui got his nickname. A real keeper.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Regarding Auntie Maria's post above, "Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" is NOT available on DVD...false alarm.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  05:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I watched most of this video over the weekend. As everyone has said, it is of excellent quality and easily considered a "must have." I really enjoyed learning some of the history of the Sons of Hawai`i and getting some insight into these great players. Great stuff about Gabby and many, many others. Well done. I hope that other documentaries in this series will also be released on DVD as this one has been.

On this note, Auntie Myrna Kamae confirmed via email that contributions to the Hawaiian Legacy Foundation will help them to re-release other documentaries to DVD.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  07:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
seeing Dennis Kamakahi with blond hair is worth the price of admission.

Well... Blonde hair in one scene and RED hair in another scene!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/24/2005 07:37:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just seen the History of the Sons of Hawaii documentary for the first time and it was wonderful - great music and great stories. Near the end of the film David & Dennis Kamakahi are playing together. I'm sure it's a well known tune, but can anyone tell me the name of the tune they're playing? I'm a progressing beginning uke player and I'd love to learn it. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve-

The song is `Ulili E. It is on Dennis' `Ohana CD, as well as the 2nd Dancing Cat compilation.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  02:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Debbie! Now, I just gotta transcribe it and practice like the dickens! (I'll post elsewhere on the board and ask for cheat sheets.) Thanks again from a hardworking beginner!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000