Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Where in the world are you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  05:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I'm in Illinois, but by Wednesday I'll be in Hawaii! I don't know the itinerary (my wife made the arrangements and we're cruising around to several islands), but if you taropatchers who are lucky enough to live in paradise see a tall guy with a red beard and a Hawaiian shirt, say "aloha" to me. I do know that Wednesday and Thursday we'll be in Honolulu, and Hilo on the 4th. I'll try to wear my taropatch button. Regards to all. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

Today I'm in Illinois, but by Wednesday I'll be in Hawaii! I don't know the itinerary (my wife made the arrangements and we're cruising around to several islands), but if you taropatchers who are lucky enough to live in paradise see a tall guy with a red beard and a Hawaiian shirt, say "aloha" to me. I do know that Wednesday and Thursday we'll be in Honolulu, and Hilo on the 4th. I'll try to wear my taropatch button. Regards to all. LRR

Make sure to go to the Moana Terrace at the Mariott to see Auntie Genoa (and Alan Akaka on steel). Great show!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Thursday is Aunty Genoa's birthday. If you can get close to Waikiki Marriott, good luck. If you can, though, Wow, it will be worth it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  06:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been to the show at the Moana Terrace and seen Auntie Genoa there. I'm sure the place will be crowded, and we won't be in Waikiki that evening anyway. Of course I wish Auntie Genoa Many Happy Returns of the Day. I'm off to paradise in 4 minutes. Can't wait to smell the flowers when I get off the plane in Honolulu. Aloha! LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
im in Guangzhou, People's Republic of China

before this I lived in Taiwan, Republic Of China

Before that I lived in the Kingdon of Cambodia,

before that I lived in Chicago

before that I lived in Oregon

Before that I lived in Kaua'i

Before that I lived in Utah,

Before that I lived on O'ahu.

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  08:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh, Kawika - can you tell us more of your holoholo story?
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Eh, Kawika - can you tell us more of your holoholo story?

well.. so many .. i can tell u one cool thing...

I went to Thailand on Holiday from China, bought a ticket for Cambodia, had my money stolen that night, went to Cambodia anyway.. made friends with the tour guide... the tour group wanted to go to Angkor Wat, I never heard about Angkor Wat or anything before, but the bus was broken down, and the Haoles were all complaining, and all the locals had was one small pick up and they needed to also carry a big engine down to the capital of Phnom Penh, and they couldnt get it in, so i helped them load it in, it was so big the whole bed was filled up, and some 12 people had to sit around the bed, on top of the sides of the pickup bed, there were some Korean tourists who didnt mind it.. and thats my favorite place to sit anytime im in a truck... but these foreigners really didnt want to do that at all.. but i convinced them all it would be a much more fun experience, maybe they thought I was going with them too, they were all excited.. but i didnt have any money, so I just loaded them all into the truck and wished them a happy trip... but their mood really changed, and seemed more adventuring than before.. it was 8 hours of very rough road.. the roughest road on the planet.. it would come to pass that I would make that trip many times the same way in the time that followed.

i made friends with the tour guide and his brother.. they asked me why i came to their country and why I wasnt going to the Angkor Wat Temple.. I told them i was just interested in their little one-horse town and was planning to sleep there that night. They invited me to go sleep at their house.. it was back in the deep jungle, and later that night we went to a party up at the Buddhist pagoda, and there was a lot of people there, and I learned how to do Khmer dancing, to the very beautiful and happy Khmer music.. I was the only foreigner they ever made friends with..

it was so much fun.. they were really so warm and friendly, reminded me of Hawaiians in many ways.. I stayed there night after night, until i even lost my job back in China, then it was more than one month, i was introduced to the local village chief, he left with the UN in 75 fleeing the Khmer Rouge.. and came back as a UN interpreter in 1991, and his chief, and so on up the chain of command, maybe there were many Khmer Rouge there.. they drink a lot of Chinese rice wines.. almost everyday thats all we did.. and eat delicious food, back in the jungle.. we were all so poor.. they really treated me like a king, I taught them some English, they taught me Khmer language, we sit all day eat delicious, Vietnamese, Thai and Khmer food, with the Khmer, Thai, Hmong, Laos and Vietnamese people living there.. there was one old guy who played one very old guitar, we'd sing songs together too..

every morning we'd wake up to the loud sounds of Khmer Music played by one of the neighbors, go watch chinese tv translated into Khmer, and eat soup and congee for breakfast, we'd travel around on motor bikes or truck to different places, go swimming in the Tonle Sap River, pick sweet Potatoes, do some farming, I helped them build some houses out of large branches and bamboo only.. we sleep in bamboo houses, under mosquito nets, on little mats with pillows..

all the villagers have large earthen ware pots that drinking water is delivered to, when its time to shower we scoop the water out of the pots, out on a little bamboo balcony.. looking at all the other beautiful girls on their balconies, showering and laughing at each other, through the Ti leaves, banana and papaya and palm trees.. it really looks alot like Hawaii..scoop the water over your head, use bars of soap.. make eyes with the girls...

when the water is low we go pump the well..... where all the girls are washing clothes...

lucky I had my trustee camo surf shorts from Hawaii still.. thats about all I had left... and a passport.. then we come back to eat after a long hard and dusty day.. rice and some sour soup some grilled fish, some fresh vegetable plate we roll up the pickled and fresh vegetables into a lettuce leaf and dip it into the fish water/sauce with Chilies..

then we go for a iced coffee and watch tv in the local shops.

sometimes we go play 'Counter-Strike' in the web bar.. with 6 computer on LAN...

we play volleyball in VERY serious death matches in the dirt surrounded by net.. (and bets)... then we go watch the legal cock fights...
their father catches birds with some very tricky trap which he sets, then we eat fried pigeon for dinner.

I lived there one year in all.. a lot of experiences.. very special for me

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou

Edited by - Tetapu on 04/16/2008 12:42:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000