Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Keola Beamer Lessons Online: Intermediate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  1:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After completing Keola Beamer's Beginning lessons on-line, I was at first reluctant to try the Intermediate lessons on a pay-per-song basis. My misgivings were unfounded, as this has been a truly rich learning experience (for me) and surprisingly effective.
It's funny, but I have come to feel a strong connection with "the teacher," whose voice comes through in his lesson notes -- not only in technique tips and detailed discussion of tricky passages, but in an overall sense of finding and feeling the spirit of the music.
Although it's not mentioned above, the lessons are available through a PayPal link on the teacher's Web site, and each song is available separately. Also not listed above is the fact that there are now five Intermediate-level songs available.
For what it's worth, I'm having a blast working with these songs and moving to the next once it feels like I've got the previous song under my fingers.
Davey
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  07:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey

Also not listed above is the fact that there are now five Intermediate-level songs available.
There are actually six titles currently available as of this post. In addition to the four listed above Keola has added:

Kepania Paniolo - Spanish Cowboy (C Wahine or Keola's C)
Puka Pants (F Wahine or Leonard's F)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/24/2007 10:00:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Craig:
I've been working on the whole counting thing, but progress has been painfully slow.
Davey
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm...
Bass note on "1", treble on "and," alternating bass on "2" , etc. etc.

Sorry, just a bit loopy today.
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just downloaded No Ka Po and Ka Leileiona this weekend - I've been a little scared of tackling Keola's stuff and now I'm raring to go!

These two tabs are beautiful to play - glorious melodies and harmonies coming through and very different to the traditional pieces in Mark Nelson's old time book (which I've also been enjoying getting through). These Keola pieces really complement the old time stuff and give me a very different, almost magical feel.

Personally, I wish there was a whole load more of Keola's atmospheric style tabbed out there!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  09:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He and Mark wrote a very good book together. I think it is listed here somewhere. It has been out there for over 10 years and still good.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000