Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  10:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

bbauer
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  9:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbauer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Andy, this is a great first book for learning slack key. I'm so glad its back in print; I was lucky to get one of the last ones with a cassette, but felt bad that so many would miss this.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've told this story a few times, but once more won't hurt -

I was lucky enough to find one of the cassette copies on a visit to Maui, and when I got home I hid out while I worked on the "Kani Ki Ho`alu." When I had it under my fingers enough to present it I played it for my wife and ... it brought a tear to her eye - "It's just so pretty" with a sniffle. Needless to say, this will always be one of my favorite tunes.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone else. This is the book that got me started. If you want to start learning Ki Ho`alu, get this book!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While it was Ron Loo's books that got this player off the ground, I absolutely agree with everyone else: Ozzie's book is a "must" for beginning to learn slack key. Ozzie is a terrific and inventive and sensitive player, and his arrangements have wonderful color to them without straying from the traditional or being too "advanced".

Go to Top of Page

maxsmith
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  12:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to buy this from Barnes & Noble online, but it's not stocked - anyone know where I can get it?

Thanks!
Max

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  1:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
elderly.com appears to have it in stock

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  2:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon is showing 10-14 day delivery. Click the link below.

Playing Guitar Hawaiian Style Book/Cd Set

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  4:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie Marie ususally keeps Ozzie's set in stock with a quick turnaround time. www.mele.com
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Update on availability...

Auntie Marie doesn't list it now at www.mele.com (or at least I couldn't find it by searching for Kotani).

Borders lists it with 2-3 day shipping lead time for $20+.

Amazon lists it with 3-5 weeks shipping lead time for $16+.

According the Mel Bay website, the book now comes with a CD.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased this book based on everyones recommendations. I can't wait to get it! ...By the way, I just ordered it for $20.03 from amazon including shipping, a great buy!

Mahalo for your reviews!

Aloha

Danno

Go to Top of Page

Mt Leddy
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  2:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Ozzie's book/cd is great. What is even greater is to take one of his classes. He just held one in Palo Alto, CA and he is great. One word of advise, bring a tape recorder because he lets you record the class. It is essential for timing because he gives you songs in TAB which don't help with timing.
Go to Top of Page

Mt Leddy
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the correct word is "advice", and I bought a thesaurus so I'd like to change one of the "greats" to "excellent". One other thing, if anybody has a tape from the class in Palo Alto in November, can I get a copy from you? I'm having trouble with the timing on Hamabe No Uta. Mahalo
quote:
Originally posted by Mt Leddy

I agree, Ozzie's book/cd is great. What is even greater is to take one of his classes. He just held one in Palo Alto, CA and he is great. One word of advise, bring a tape recorder because he lets you record the class. It is essential for timing because he gives you songs in TAB which don't help with timing.

Go to Top of Page

bcalkins
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  4:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks - I've just signed on as a member to this great site. I discovered slack key a couple of years ago after buying the Slack Key Masters CD put out by Dancing Cat Records. I've since picked up instruction books by Keola Beamer and Mark Hanson which are both excellent. Now I'm looking for a tab/transcription of Ozzie Kotani's Ku'u Kika Kahiko (My Old Guitar), a beautiful piece from the above CD. It does not appear in Ozzie's book. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
aloha and welcome bcalkins
You could contact Ozzie directly. He has hundreds of tabs and will often times be willing to share them. His email is oz1 @ gte.net and he will get back to you. Good luck. JlSulle'
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mt Leddy

One other thing, if anybody has a tape from the class in Palo Alto in November, can I get a copy from you? I'm having trouble with the timing on Hamabe No Uta. Mahalo[quote]Originally posted by Mt Leddy

Hi, I tried sending email and I guess it didn't get through. I can send you either the whole workshop or just the song run throughs on CD if you still need them.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 12/28/2002 9:08:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: