Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hi'Ilawe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  02:18:25 AM  Show Profile
I would like to learn "Hi'ilawe" and I browsed through cpatch's list of songs looking for the music. I noticed several versions and different tunings of Hi'ilawe. My favorite is from Cyril Pahinui on "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guita" Vol 1. My guittar playing is at an intermediate level and I have only heard vocal versions of the song. While I probably could not play it in Cyril's style, I would like to find a version that has the general sound of his version.
Any suggestions on which version would best fit my pref?
Thanks
Bob

Bob

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  2:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Go to www.slacktracks.com and click on Volumn 2. There is a short clip of Hiilawe that you may want to listen to. It comes with the backing tracks and a very good Tab.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  3:42:01 PM  Show Profile
There are essentially only three chords in Hi'ilawe. Like most good Hawaiian songs (mele) they are the I, IV, and V7 chords. In the key of C Major, these are the C, F, and G7 chords. the turnaround is a simple G7-C turnaround. And that's it. Learn to play those chords in your favorite tuning and your are 90% done. Most people like to play it using the tuning that has many names (CGDGBD) or C Wahine (CGDGBE).

But do try the Slack Tracks CD. Then, you get the bass and backup tracks so you can be a one man band and sing it out! You also get a nice and easy tablature written by (I think) patrick Landeza.

Try the Kanikapila Guide Sheet from this web site for more help.

http://www.taropatch.net/download/kgs/HiilaweKGS.pdf

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the responses. I guess it realy is an easy tune (I IV V7). I will probably try Keola's C or Gabby's C, another responder sugessted CGEGCE. It is Cyril's quick flicking improv that made me think it was so tough. Well, the way he plays it while singing I still think it would be challenging. Now I think I should learn to sing it with basic guitar work first. Then, hopefully the aloha and soul of the song will sink in and the guitar fills will follow. I have no idea what the song is about, but cyril's rendition gives me an emtional buzz when I listen to it...as do some versions of the queen's songs.
Thanks
Bbb

Bob
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  04:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Cyril uses Gabby's C. I've played it in taropatch in G. Every tuning has its own sweetness and possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Aha . .

You should put the below web site in your "favorites".
http://www.huapala.org/

Here is the story behind the song:
quote:
This mele is about a love affair at Hi`ilawe (highest waterfall in Hawai`i) and Waio`ulu, two waterfalls in Waipi`o Valley on the Big Island. The girl, from Puna, describes herself poetically as the fragrance from Puna. Distressed by the gossip mongers, she calls them chattering birds. Mist of the mountains in the 3rd verse is the poetic way of saying this is a secret love affair. Lâlâkea and Hakalaoa are streams at the top of Waip`io Valley that flow over the cliff forming the twin waterfalls of Hi`ilawe and Hakalaoa. They merge into the Hi`ilawe stream that is one of two main waterways in Waip`io Valley

You can also read more in Eddie Kamae's Book, "Hawaiian Son", as he interviewed Sam Li'a and asked him about the song -- very good book by the way.

Here are the verses in English:

All eyes are on Hi`ilawe
In the sparkling lowlands of Maukele

I have not been trapped by the gossip
Chattering everywhere in Waipi`o

I am not caught
For I am the mist of the mountains

I am the darling of the parents
And a lei for the necks of grandparents
*Beloved of my parents

The fragrance is wafted from Puna
And lives at Hi`ilawe waterfall

I was at the bosom of Ha`i, the woman
At the beloved bosom of Ha`inakolo

Annoyed at the many birds
They were indifferent to the distress they caused

You are my companion in the day of joy
The many birds there caused a commotion

It is my great skill
The waves of the ocean overwhelm us

The ocean rages fearfully
But my steering is skillfull

Hurry, let us go close to the wharf
I am your new love to be kissed

My flower, my lei, my love for you
Is unforgettable like the muilan flower

Tell the refrain
All eyes are on Hi`ilawe
*The fragrance is wafted from Puna

The hidden meaning (Koana) is yours to discover.

Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  07:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
And here are Hawaiian lyrics:

Kûmaka ka `ikena iâ Hi`ilawe
Ka papa lohi mai a`o Maukele

Pakele mai au i ka nui manu
Hau wala`au nei puni Waipi`o

`A`ole nô wau e loa`a mai
A he uhiwai au no ke kuahiwi

He hiwahiwa au na ka makua
A he lei `â`î na ke kupuna
*(A he milimili ho`i na ka makua)

No Puna ke `ala i hali `ia mai
Noho i ka wailele a`o Hi`ilawe

I ka poli nô au o Ha`i wahine
I ka poli aloha o Ha`inakolo

Ho`okolo `ia aku i ka nui manu
I like ke ka`ina meka uahoa

He hoa `oe no ka lâ le`ale`a
Na ka nui manu iho haunaele

E `ole ko`u nui piha akamai
Hala a`e nâ `ale o ka moana

Hao mai ka moana kau e ka weli
Mea `ole na`e ia no ia ho`okele

Ho`okele o `uleu pili i ka uapo
Honi malihini au me ku`u aloha

He aloha ia pua ua lei `ia
Ku`u pua miulana poina `ole

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
Kûmaka ka `ikena iâ Hi`ilawe
*(No Puna ke `ala i hali `ia mai)
*Alternate Stanzas

I have sat with Uncle Cyril as he graciously tries to shows me how to play Hiilawe. He is from the watch and listen school.

I do watch the chords being played but he always throws in some licks that amaze me. Licks which bring a "What the heck did he just do" and "how did he get so many notes out of that chord" expression to my face.

I don't know what is more touching. His playing Hiilawe or the wonderful heart warming and joyous chuckle that comes forth when he sees my "oh my gosh" look.

His comments to me have been don't worry about copying how someone else plays a song. Just play whats in your heart. Indeed he does

PS
The tabs for Slack Tracks were written by Kit Madrid who majored in music, and is a very talented musician. He performs mostly in the San Francisco area,and is the bass player in Patrick Landeza's band.

Edited by - Ianui on 06/27/2006 07:33:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:45:06 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard anyone sing more than the first 5 verses and the ha'ina.

Does anyone know of a resource to hear the rest of them?

mahalo,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  10:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have played the song in G, but I think it's often played in C Maunaloa or Gabby's C. It seems like the signature lick is when the quick vamp resolves to the root on the second string, making it more mellow and subtle than when played in Taropatch, where it resolves to the first string.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Uncle Mahi (Chuck Ka'imikawa) has tried to teach it to me in Drop C... I'm still working on it. If we get lucky, maybe he will sing it all and I can record it and send it out. but when we started, he said there are 14 verses but only 6 are played... Also, I have heard different "tunes" sung, but I believe they are just harmonies of each other.
Aloha all -
n
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile
just two lines of verse for the melody, then a turnaround, then repeat until you decide to sing "haina mai ana ka puana".

I have heard that Gabby palyed this song every which way and kept his band on their toes.

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  3:51:18 PM  Show Profile
It's never been one of my favorite hawaiian songs until I heard Pekelo's version done in the old style, with the instrumental ending in the Gabby style. You'll love the Aug and 1/2 dim chords. It's now part of my rep for gigs. Yes, the explanation in Eddie Kakae's book is "chicken skin". Actually the whole book is.

Bob, you might try it in Double Slack (G Wahine). That's the way I learned it first from Keola Beamer. It puts the chords under your fingers very easily, if you're used to TaroPatch.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/03/2006 3:56:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  7:40:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

until I heard Pekelo's version

Dave

where can I hear this version? I want to hear more arrangements so that I can hear different ideas. I do like keola's arrangemetns , so I will also try to find his version. However, I am considering a departure that does not include guitar but I would need a good singer for the vocal track. I am not a good singer but I can add a demo vocal track to convey my idea. If it works, I may look for a member that can add a good vocal track for me.
Thanks everyone.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile
For Pekelo's album try http://www.mele.com/music/artist/pekelo/pekelo%27s+hana/

Aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!

I saw Gabby do this song live many times, and I recall that he used the CGEGBE tuning. This may have already been refered to by name, but those were the notes. The F chord is more implied than actually played. I just mostly 2nd string 1st fret, and 4th string 1st fret.

I first heard this song back in the fifites while I was still in high school in Hilo. It's always been a special favorite. Most people play it too fast!

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I've been playing 37 years and I once saw a commercial with Pops playing that song and I saw where his fingers were and what they were doing. I could not figure out the tuning. Thanks so much. I know sometimes we go up instead of down. Thats why Atta's b flat is actually Gabby's C which Cyril also plays. But the b flat goes down (easier on the guitar neck) then capo 2 it is back to C. But the trick of tuning D to E and the other two bass strings down and leaving the rest where they are just never occurred to me. Larry you da bomb.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000