Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 He Mele Aloha book giveaway
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  12:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

Any taropatchers not yet own He Mele Aloha? To get your 2008 started off right, chunky monkey has an extra copy that he's putting up for a Taropatch.net giveaway.

If you do NOT have a copy, reply to this post. Tell us about one of your favorite Hawaiian songs. Why do you love it? Can you play it? How'd you learn it? Those who reply as of January 31, will be entered in to the random drawing. Good luck!

Ps. Thanks Terry!

Andy

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  4:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
So far Bruddah Ed has a really good chance of winning! As of now, a sure thing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, I already have the book but wanted to tell a story about it. I was at George's camp on Maui when Kimo Hussey was teaching. I asked him when they were coming out with the next book, there are so many songs yet to learn...

He looked at me wide-eyed and asked me if I already knew all the songs in the first edition. Cocky me: I said sure, now when is the next one due?

He informed me it took more than 4 years to do this first version. So it will be a while. Then I asked him to sign my book. His last sentence is: "Good Luck Lady!"

Kimo is a great person to play Hawaiian songs with...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Ko'ali is my favorite piece to play and sing because the first time I heard it performed live was when I was down at the beach in Makua on O'ahu in the late 80's. I was camped with some friends and I returned to the camp late in the evening one night after a long day. Two of my friends were practicing the hula for this piece. One would sing and play the guitar while the other one danced. They were taking turns dancing and playing and they were having a blast. They had the words and chords right there, so I picked up the quitar and took over the singing and playing while they danced. That is one of my best memories from camping at Makua back in the days. Later, I heard Pekelo's version - nahenahe kela! I still sing that song once in a while.

PS I do not possess this great book. I have a hand written collection of music.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.

Edited by - kaniala5 on 02/01/2008 07:30:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile
I have so many favorite Hawaiian songs I couldn't name them all! I spent many, many years in Hawaii but have been on mainland for 15 years now, and since I got my husband (guitar player) interested in slack key, I get to hear much more of it - and live, too! Now I and my husband am going to pick up the ukulele (I have learned 1 song so far - White Sandy Beach) and I would like to find any Hawaiian songbooks that are good for our collection.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kaniala5

Ko'ali is my favorite piece to play and sing because the first time I heard it performed live was when I was down at the beach in Makua on O'ahu in the late 80's... Later, I heard Pekelo's version - nahenahe kela!
Last year, I got to join the Waihe'e slack key jam guys in Hana for the Taro Festival. Pekelo was there and also joined in. I had a silly grin on my face, playing along, looking at Kevin and Sheldon Brown (among others), while Pakelo sang Koali.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile
One of my favorite "Hawaiian" songs is "White Sandy Beach" as performed by Iz. I first heard it on the Island of Molokai. Then I bought the album. Then I bought an ukulele, just so I could learn that song. And I did. It is still my favorite song about Hawaii. There are so many emotions running through it for me: Iz's talent, the loss of that talent, the fact that it is just a big man and a tiny instrument playing the song, the wistful, melancholy rememberance of a wonderful time on a beautiful Hawaiian beach, lost love....it's all there. I love it, and it opened up a whole new world of music for me.

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:58:28 AM  Show Profile
One of my favorite songs is Akaka Falls sung by everyone & of course Ka Wailele O Nu'uanu as well......Remembered one time my girlfriend and I were at Kahala Beach at twilight with a party plate from Kozo Sushi and we listening to Ka Wailele O Nu'uanu by Makana and as we sat down to eat a gust of wind kicked up and sprayed our food...she cried and even to this day I still don't know if it was the song that moved her to tears or the ruined sushi !...there are way tooooo many songs to list as every song played sets me in a diffferent mood....Cindy Combs, the Man with the Wooden Boat, Hapa, Olomana, Darin Leong, Amy Gilliom ,Cecilio & Kapono, Kalapana, IZ ...and the list of songs & players go on and on...don't have the He Mele Aloha book just yet as I'm still straining the brain cells on the materials I have in front of me....James
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  10:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
there are so few hits on this topic that it probably tells us that a LARGE MAJORITY of taropatchers already own AT LEAST one copy of HE MELE ALOHA. I own two, one spiral bound and one comb bound (old copy from first printing where the pages all fall out. Don't enter me with this post -- just thought it was interesting.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

there are so few hits on this topic that it probably tells us that a LARGE MAJORITY of taropatchers already own AT LEAST one copy of HE MELE ALOHA.
I was thinking the same thing. In retrospect, I should have settled on a different theme. On the other hand, it is nice to get a copy to someone who does not have a copy.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Andy,
there are so few hits on this topic that it probably tells us that a LARGE MAJORITY of taropatchers already own AT LEAST one copy of HE MELE ALOHA. I own two, one spiral bound and one comb bound (old copy from first printing where the pages all fall out. Don't enter me with this post -- just thought it was interesting.

Yes, this is also why I didn't post.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  08:45:06 AM  Show Profile
I also have 2 copies - - one still in book form, one in 2 binders with each page in a sleeve. In Hawai`i, this is called "The CostCo book". Jack Knight on Hawai`i has quite a number of copies and was kind enough to bring them all to Keoki's camp so that those of us flying in did not have to have the weight.
Mahalo Terry for donating one copy. I don't see it as an "extra" copy..... but everyone should own this to bring to kani ka pila if nothing else.
I know Julie's frustration..... we carry the Mele book and then 2/3 of the songs chosen for kani ka pila aren't in it. Sigh....
Still can't choose just one favorite song....
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Andy ...

I guess i stay one of da few da no mo dis book ;-) Wen I wen go back home last time, I was sooo close to buying um from Costco, but i was to chang. ha ha ha. Now I regret it.

My favorite song right now probably is Ka Uluwehi O ke Kai. I no remembah wen I wen learn da song. It seems like I knew da lyrics fo eva. Funny ting, is dat only a couple weeks ago, I wen learn fo sing and play um, and since my wife can dance to um, it's da only song I can play and sing, dat she can hula to. :-)

I really wanted fo get dis book fo learn Ua Mau, since my wife can dance dat one too, and we wanted fo be able fo dance um in church sometime :-)

Anyways, tanks again fo all da giveaways and fo dis awesome ohana hea!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile
wow. tanks fo da heads up :-) you know which pages was missing o wat? I'm shua now everybody goin be checking. heh.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  2:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
One i always liked was Manuela Boy, funny all the different lyrics people come up with, play the version i learned from Oz's book.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  08:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just picked a name out of the hat. The winner is mahimahi. Congrats!

Thanks everyone for posting. And the remaining handful of you, go get yourselves a copy of this book!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000