Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Is Posting In "Broken English" a turn off?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 73

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  12:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does our posting in "Broken English" make you feel like you're being excluded from the
conversation? Does it feel like we are part of a "click" who only correspond amongst a
select group of people? Do you not feel comfortable with your grasp or understanding of
"Pidgin" English & tend to shy away from such conversations because you feel inadequate
or don't want to risk offending anyone?

Well let me formally invite everyone to take part in these "Broken English" posts.Our
intention is never to exclude anyone,it's mostly to inject a little Hawaii into the
conversation.There is no obligation to respond in like manner,because we "Pidgin"
speakers also speak "Textbook English" Hey I'm finally bilingual

We all have a lot of common interests.Seems like a dirty shame to be separated by either implied,inferred or invisible walls. E KOMO MAI!!! I came here because of Ki ho'alu,I
don't care what your IQ level,Ethnic make-up,musical ability,economic status or whatever
is.If you're good people,I'd like to get acquainted & share

Malama pono
Braddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  03:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just be yourself and post often. My 2 cents. It's all about the music anyway. Doesn't matter how you say it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  04:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruddah Duke.

I agree totally with Andy. Some will feel excluded by the post, some cliquish, and some uncomfortable. No mattahs! as long as the intent is pono. Through the years of being on TaroPatch, it's nice to see more Hawaiians posting. This was pretty much haole land for a long time. Not to the exclusion of hawaiians, but just the way it was. I find it refreshing to see the hawaiian connections being made here; the strong sense of `ohana. By posting you have opened up your `ohana to us. I, for one, greatly appreciate it.

Mahalo for you sensitivity.

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  07:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't speak Pidgin - but I understand most of it from context. I enjoy reading posts in Pidgin, because it gives "voice" to the posting - and I hear voices in my head all the time anyway!

No bodda me.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah? I almost wen pas dis one bai, but for political reasons I wen take onenada look. You guys lolo fo try change lidat. Da wey you talk iz da wey you tink bradda. N da wey tou tink iz da wey you rite. N I tink dat everybody still stay listening brah, Jez ho`omanawanui brah.

Furdamor, if we waz to lift da top of your hed en chai look eensai your brain, would have all deez lil kanaks runnin aroun in dea saying "do diz do dat, what you lookin at? I tink da odda guys tink I no can rite, I no like dem tink I'm icing em out. What you mean I gotta talk mo betta? Diz changes eryting! You know I neva wen speech terapy three years for noting . I know you know I know dat you know I stay trying to do wats right, but hard yeah. Eh, try put da top down. Mahalos"

No change now, too late I tink. Hard fo stop da bolder from rolling down da Pali, wen all you geet iz rubbah slippa. So Dukey, whachoo gonna do?

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Pidgin is great - it is expressive, has many metaphors and a syntax much like Hawaiian. Besides, it is usually filled with great humor and vitality.

Sarah and I have many books in Pidgin, some very seriously literary. I won't name all the authors and titles, because we have choke books (see, even that single word is a clever construction and reuse of a word).

I refrain from speaking it because my accent is lousy, but once, at a festival on little Moku Ola (how could they ever have renamed that important place Coconut Island?), I said a few joking paragraphs, with the correct accent, to Sarah, and was overheard by a nearby family. They caught my joke and joked back, in Pidgin. That was nice.

BTW, like any language, Pidgin is changing over time (and has before) and is different from place to place and between ethnic groups. Those dialects are interesting, too. Right now, Honolulu Pidgin, with a Japanese flavor, seems to be driving the change everywhere. Like the very early use of "guyz" instead of "dem", similar to the Hawaiian "ma".

Keep it up.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 05/21/2008 09:30:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And Ed,
You one nodda one. You kenna go Hah? afta I already wen Hah? My Hah get more mana, came first. You gotta go ida "What? " or "So?" or "So what?" or "What bada u?" Or da triple emphatic "So what? Bada U? Hah?"

I can just see Reid pulling out da books and going what the hell? Then again mebbe not. Like slack key all you gotta do is just listen, and listen to da rhythm to get it right.
I think Duke's post is great! It makes things clear. Da main thing iz dat erybody just jump right in n start talkin to each other, dat's what makes diz place happen.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah Ed,
Me too. As I digress into my bastard tongue. I no sked'em, I kona chancem before we change directions again. I konna do a couple good long runon sentences, like stream of conscious.

Cause I work dea and teach, the problem with UH guyz and odda guyz at udda schools, iz they think they're smarta den evrybody else like me, some are, some arnt, but daz why get da big bucks. But what I wen learn I neva wen learn at UH, like Lion King, I wen learn em from da school of life, it's an important part of the circle of life, but neva had one degree for what I know.

N I know that get so many guys who wanna know what I know because I already did the research for almost forty years and its all good jez neva published in academia, although a couple of students wen try scoopem, but it would be one big scoop for UH ma and one major loss for me, once it's out it's fair game. But as they say, das da alas bra.

If I were to speak pidgin like this alla time, I wouldn't have a job. I'm gonna look at my postings tomorrow and say, stupid, what was I thinking? What you think?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Furdamor, if we waz to lift da top of your hed en chai look eensai your brain, would have all deez lil kanaks runnin aroun in dea saying "do diz do dat, what you lookin at? I tink da odda guys tink I no can rite, I no like dem tink I'm icing em out. What you mean I gotta talk mo betta? Diz changes eryting! You know I neva wen speech terapy three years for noting . I know you know I know dat you know I stay trying to do wats right, but hard yeah. Eh, try put da top down. Mahalos"
For the visually inclined --- lai dis?
http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah Gregg. Jez Li dat. You one child of the 60's or what?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  1:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, das rite. I feel beta already. You checked out Gregg's link to the blue ball machine? It's trippy. I could watch it for a long time. Anyway I got to get back to editing, it's boring but necessary.

Aloha Peter

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  1:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I can just see Reid pulling out da books and going what the hell?"

"mebbe not."

Not! Wot I owe you money,O wot? Wan' beef?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  2:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

You one child of the 60's or what?
I'm not sure...I don't remember very clearly...which means it's likely.

(Now...where's the "smiley" that represents an acid trip?)
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  3:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you remember the 60's, you weren't there.
David Crosby
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  4:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every ethnic community has gone through it. I was in high school when I found out that the "diskbanken" was the "kitchen counter", among other Scandihoovianisms pecurliar to my family.

Shoots, Duke, no worry da "broken English", my ohana wen' speak one oddah kine alla time an' still got by. Jus' press. Also, learn fo' eat poi.
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bradda duke,it's intelligent posts such as this that brings to mind,that under normal circumstances would'nt have been brought up.Whether if from not feeling to belong.or worrying about offending,makes us realize nevah mind,that our common ground being hawaiian music and culture brings us together.And that bringing attention to this,will without a doubt open da doors for all.Good topic my friend.Aloha braddah jay.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 73 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000