Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  2:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lanet,

Wow, kill two birds with one stone--Higher Ground Cafe sounds like a great venue for both kanikapilas and open mics. No need clean house or worry about rain in the park . . . plus they have drinks/smoothies, so don't have to hassle with potluck! Higher Ground sounds similar to the coffee shops/restaurants that have graciously hosted us here in the Bay Area. Ideally, the performers and audience will kokua by patronizing the place and tipping the sound guys.

Mahalo for all of your legwork in getting this kani off the ground. This could be the start of something great. Keep us posted and I'll help spread the word with friends and family on Oahu. I'm looking forward to sitting in with you all the next time I'm on Oahu.

Aloha,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 11/10/2008 2:30:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Doug,

Thanks for the support! I do agree, except we'll kill THREE birds with one stone as the cafe is right next to the music store, so we'll be able to pick up more strings while we're there. Can't wait for the children to have a chance to jam with you and all the other musicians on taropatch.net. Thank you in advance for letting your family know, and tell them ALL AGES WELCOME!

Just a note to everyone though. Timi had a bad biking accident today and fractured his left wrist. In true Abrigo style, he figured out that he can now focus on his latest interest, lap steel!

Everyone, please let me know if you would like to meet for a Kanikapila on November 22.

Much Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lanet,

Thanks for posting this good news.

What time on the 22nd? I am just down the road in Waipahu from Andrews shops in Wahiawa.

Rich

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 11/11/2008 10:00:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  2:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well gee, I be in Waikiki on the December on three. Bad ryme. Won't have a car. How can I get there? And back. Darn.

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey,
Das in my neighborhood, Wahiawa....would love to sit in on upright bass or wherever you'll have me.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha!

So, we're all set with the place and the date, now what time works for everybody? I'm thinking we could start at around 2 p.m. and plan to end at around 4 p.m. for our first time. How does that sound for everyone?

I'm really excited to hear that someone will be bringing a bass. And this place is so central for everyone, I'm really hoping to have a nice group little group to start. Can't wait to meet everyone in person and have a place for the visitors to come jam.

~Lanet and the children

Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  6:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 - 4 works for me. Just realized I am playng an accoustic with no amp...maybe betta, no hear mistakes!

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 11/13/2008 6:28:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  06:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Well, it looks like our first Kanikapila is taking shape nicely! Rich brings up a very good subject. Will we need to plug in anything (amps or sound system) for our kanikapila? I was thinking it would be acoustic, but some instruments might need to be amplified. Please let me know so I can run it all by Andrew.

Shooting for the 22nd from 2 to 4 p.m. at Higher Ground Cafe. Will confirm with Andrew today and post as soon as possible.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  10:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Had the chance to check with Andrew last night, so we're all set for a kanikapila at Higher Ground Cafe in Wahiawa for Saturday, November 22nd from 2 to 4 p.m. Please invite your friends and family. Out of respect for Andrew, I ask that you bring no outside food or drink. The cafe offers a nice selection of beverages and also pizza and other yummy food choices. Bring your instrument and lets have some fun!

Mahalo, the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  9:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, we hope to see you guys today up at Higher Ground!

Aloha, the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  03:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well? How was it? Funny thing, Paul pulled out his guitar and started playing right at the time you guys were having your fun! He didn't even know what time it was or anything like that, but musta felt the vibes. Wouldn't it really be funny if he was playing the same songs you guys were?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda,

We had a very small turn out, but the handful that came had a good time. The island of O'ahu was on a flood watch since Friday and ending (hopefully) this evening. In fact, when we got home from the kanikapila, our power was out for a couple hours. I'm sure that the weather had a lot to do with the small head count.

The music was fabulous. You would have REALLY enjoyed it. Beautiful slack key guitar by Zach, Timi and Rich. Zach also played around with the uke bass and shared some new songs he learned from Ozzie Kotani. Timi swapped out his guitar a few times for ukulele, and also uke bass. Emily played ukulele, auto harp, uke bass, and both Timi and Emily sang. I even tried to follow along a little on the uke, and my husband played the song Timi taught him. There were a few others that came and lingered close by, but didn't come and join in the music. One very nice young gentleman corrected some of our written lyrics for us. I sure wish I caught his name, what a nice young man!

My husband videoed, but I'll have to see how it came out as everyone was playing acoustic and it might be hard to hear. When I figure out how to load the video, I'll post it so everyone can check it out if it's decent quality.

For the next kanikapila, we'll work on advertising a bit more so we can have a bigger turn out. I'm just wondering if we should forgo the month of December because of the holidays, what do you think?

Aloha, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  03:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure as time goes on, more folks will show up. But you are a gracious lady to do all that leg work. Sounds like the old adage that I have heard so many times, if you have a job that needs to be done, give it to a busy person.

I might agree that December is such a busy time wit things to do and places to go. You may want to forgo the December kani.

How was the venue - conducive to a kani? Also, how is Timi playing what with breaking his arm?

Flooding? Wow. You get your water wet, we get our water fluffy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda,

No worries about the small turn out. I expected it to be so for the first couple at least while we get the word out. The place was PERFECT for the kanikapila, very comfortable, nice clean bathroom, minimal distractions, AC, hot coffee, the works!

Timi isn't playing his best with the broken wrist, but he's gettin' by pretty darn good! The kids played at Led's gig on Friday, no problems. Led was laughing at Timi because he had broken his own wrist a while back and did the same thing. Up on stage, playing away with a cast on!

Thanks for all your input, and I'll think about whether or not to do one over the holidays. Might be kind of fun to do one with some Christmas song though. We'll see.

Aloha, Lanet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000