Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  10:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lanet and Forum,

Apology for late reply.

Was good to meet you & Tim. What a great family your clan is. Brought back memories of a time when our kids were kids & in lessons and home play.

All I can say is WOW with Timi and Emily playing and singing the way they do what a bright future for them.

Zach make sit so easy looking to make the strings sing, and with the cast that Timi has it might have slowed him down, but not much. If I had that to wear I'd be struggling a lot more!

Will Timi continue to mountain/stunt bike? Never gave it much thought about injury way back when, but today those old injuries come up to make things harder for the hands to work.

Not much you can do with a high side on a bike, good thing Timi did not get a face plant! OWWWW! Was Quinn watching when that one happened?

Emily had it right "I am not going down that hill"!

Lanet, toward the end a couple of gals came in with a younger fellow on a guitar. I had a time issue going on so I did not stop to introduce myself to them. Maybe they will come the next time?

Not sure about December, but if a kanikapila is scheduled I am game.

Thanks for your efforts to put Saturdays kanikapila. If there is anythign to do to help let me know.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rich

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 11/24/2008 10:48:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  07:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha!

I would like to choose the dates for the next few kanikapilas (December, January, and February). Duke had a great suggestion. For those of you planning a trip to O'ahu, let me know when you'll be on island so we can try to plan one while your here. If you are coming to O'ahu in January or February 2009, please let me know ASAP so I can choose the best date. I'll be creating a flier with December, January and February dates in the next few days, so the sooner you let me know, the better.

Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  9:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How you going format these jams. I saw open mike stuff and that is more performance oriented. Theses jams going be informal song circle kine or wat?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  10:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

A couple quick answers:

How you going format these jams. I saw open mike stuff and that is more performance oriented. Theses jams going be informal song circle kine or wat?
No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

This Saturday was our first kanikapila, so we just did a circle and went clockwise with each musician choosing a song and everyone playing along. When it came time for pa'ani (instrument solo), the lead singer or instrumentalist would call out "Pa'ani Zach", which meant Zach would play a double round of instrumental, then the lead would call out "Pa'ani Timi" and he would play a double round instrumental. Hope that made sense. In other words, the kanikapilas are all about playing together and being inspired.

The open mic stuff definitely is more performance oriented. If you guys are interested in doing open mic stuff after the kanikapila, I could ask Andrew and see if he could make that happen for us. Just let me know, and I'll ask. He's such a nice guy!

Thanks for your efforts to put Saturdays kanikapila. If there is anythign to do to help let me know.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Rich

You're welcome Rich! One thing I could use help with is advertising the kanikapilas. Would you be willing to help with that? I'd like to make some nice fliers and put them up in the cafe window as well as the music store windows. Then there's getting it into the local papers under community calendar and etc. Let me know if you're willing to help with that.

Mahalo, Lanet and the children
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  10:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everyone!

Here are the proposed kanikapila dates for the next few months:

December 13th, 2008
January 10th, 2009
February 14th, 2009

I contacted a few members of our taropatch.net group who will be visiting O'ahu in the coming months (thanks Duke!). The above listed dates will make it possible for them to attend the kanikapilas while they're here. In gathering the info and putting together the dates, I noticed they happen to fall on the second Saturday of each month, so I'm thinking about making that a permanent schedule. What do you guys think? Any other ideas or input is GREATLY appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valentine's Day for all my sweeties to go make nice music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  3:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda,

Yeah, I was kind of worried about a Valentine's day kanikapila, but that's the best day for one of the taropatch.net visitors to O'ahu. Maybe this way kanikapila attendees can buy their sweetie something nice from the music store or cafe, then go home and play some beautiful music they learned at the kanikapila?

I still have to go through the video footage and see if there's anything to post on You Tube. Right now I've got two kids that came down with the stomach flu, so I'm busy washing everything. I feel like calling my friends and saying "Does anyone have a bottle of bleach to spare?"

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  3:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an idea for publicity -- have Zack or anyone who plays dakine make a video to put on You Tube playing some nice music and telling folks about the next three upcoming kanis. Tag them under slack key and Hawaiian music and I bet will get more folks next time. And imagine the kajillions of folks who look at you tube. And plenty malihini have been searching and searching for kani to participate in when they holoholo Hawai`i. We were so lucky to meet Jay and Duke and their wonderful `ohanas, but Paul sits outside by the hotel or across the street at Waikiki beach and strangers just come up and jam with him. I know there are plenty people around who want to play traditional Hawaiian music. I really think that if you can move it around a bit, as well, you would get different audiences who may not be able to travel to Wahiawa. The travel kanis you could have at a public park.

Garanz ball baranz me and Paul will kani, Paul would kani every day, all day and all night. I think the seeds are being planted and the right stuff is gonna grow.

Happy thanksgiving!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  1:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

OK, we've got one slight change of date for the kanikapilas. Here's the new schedule:

December 13, 2008
January 10, 2009
February 21, 2009

We'll keep the time the same, 2 to 4 p.m. And the location will be at Higher Ground Cafe. Please go ahead and network these dates with your friends and family.

Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lanet, do you have a particular layout in mind for flyers?

Is there any artwork that can be used?

If not I can contact Andrew to see what he has for Higher Grounds, no sense reinventing the wheel.

The information can then be sent in attached PDF format to Mid Week/dailies for their use of advertising. Maybe Da Kine 105 and AM 94 could make announcements as well.

Hope the kids feel better soon.

Rich

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  10:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds GREAT, Rich! Would you be willing to create the flyer? My computer has an obsolete program that no one can open, so if you could do it, it would work much better.

I found the contact information for the Community Calendars in the Midweek, Honolulu Star Bulletin, and Honolulu Advertiser. I'll contact them with the dates and times so they can get it on there ASAP. Once the flyer is done, we can send that as well.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  3:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess what!?!?

My crazy cowboy friend sent me three AWESOME uke basses. These basses play in the same octave as an upright bass, and they are SO MUCH FUN! We're keeping one, and offering the other two for sale on his behalf:

1 fretless baritone uke bass, mahogany with tortoise shell trim, double bass pickups installed, comes with case for $500.

1 fretted baritone uke bass, mahogany with tortoise shell trim, double bass pickups installed, comes with case for $500.

If I still have them by December 13th, I'll bring them to the kanikapila. What a great Christmas gift these basses would make!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  8:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Photos?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  10:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lanet, the flyer is done.

Not sure how to do an attachment to the forum here. Tried to do and image and documetn attachment but it seems the system will not pick up the file.

I called Andrew and we talked briefly on the flyer and dates. He is happy that the room will be used for kanikapila and is aware of ther dates you've posted.

If the dates need to be changed let me know as I am using the 12/14, 1/10 and 2/21 dates, 2 - 4 PM. Only printed a couple of the flyers for alignment and spelling so if another date change is needed, let me know.

So if someone can advise on how to attach or provide email I can send copy of the flyer for posting to the forum so you can see what it looks like. If the flyer is good, I'll print copies and leave them with Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply.

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 11/29/2008 10:37:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  10:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also made a flyer with my trusty Creating Keepsakes scrapbooking software. I saved it as a pdf file but I cannot get photo bucket to pick it up, either. It says invalid file type. I can attach to e-mails easy enough, but do not know how to imbed for showing here.

Good thing we finally got a phone so we don't have to climb the pole any more. It gets cold and windy in the wintertime.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000