Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Michael Jackson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  01:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John - actually, my comment about cynicism was directed toward those who are celebreties or believe themselves to be celebreties. All kinds of famous people get their 15 seconds of fame in a vicarious way by commenting on how much Michael will be missed, etc. There are sound bites from people who the news media think to be hangers-on and part of MJ's inner circle, and then you find out they have neither seen nor corresponded with MJ in any way for moths and months, even years. The people who truly were influenced in some way by him or who had great aloha for, there is nothing disingenuous about that.

As one who appreciates and enjoys your videos on You Tube, and indeed, as one who asked you to visit Taro Patch, I know you are not one of the "shameless self-promoters" that have been talked about. If any of us gave you that opinion, I apologize for that. We are merely kicking around suppositions and you, rightly so, have called us to task and showed additional points to be considered in the discussion.

What makes me feel bad for MJ are the "vultures". The vultures were around him, circling, circling for whatever they could get out of him when he was alive, and now I find plenty more who are hoping to gain financially from his demise. To illustrate this, yesterday I heard about the doctor who was with him, who was hired by the concert promoters to make sure MJ kept healthy enough to pull off these concerts he was rehearsing for. Then dctor was one of MJ's "inner circle" heretofore, and MJ asked that he be the MD who got hired. Then we come to find out that this doctor may have been helping him to obtain xcessive amounts of prescription meds to the point where close family and friends felt there was an intervention required. Then we find out that this doctor attempted to do CPR for a lengthy time BEFORE 911 was called and that this doctor attempted to do CPR while the patient ways laying on the bed. Even dummies like me know that CPR cannot be done on a bed. And even a dummy like me know that you call 911 BEFORE starting CPR. Now to me, that doctor was one of the many vultures. Nui na manu.

As regards to posting videos on you tube, I guess most of us here on Taro Patch do indulge in a bit of shameless self promotion, if guess. After all, something compels us to record the videos and make them available for viewing by strangers all over the world. But to me that is good. Heck, it is wonderful even. I have made many acquaintences through You Tube, and shootz, I even got some hanai braddahs out of it. And I even made friends in Japan, and Duke dem even got to jam at the kanikapila with a guy from Japan. How cool is that? These are not shameless self-promotoers. These are people trying to have fun and hoping to share that fun with all the folks through this wonderful means of communicating, celebrating, mourning, and whatever life brings us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  02:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

What makes me feel bad for MJ are the "vultures". The vultures were around him, circling, circling for whatever they could get out of him when he was alive, and now I find plenty more who are hoping to gain financially from his demise.

Speaking of vultures....got this in my junk email folder today. From email hoax central....Nigeria.

It reads as follows ( don't blame me for the butchering of the English language);

Compliment of the day to you,this is may come as a shock to you,but we really
need your assistance.This is in regards to the death of an icon Michael
Jackson who has an orphanage home here in africa since the year 2001,but his
death has brought the home lots of tear and sorrows,we want you to assist
this home with anything you have no amount is too small or too big,As he
always says we are the world and we are the children so please lets make a
better place for their living,if you no you love Michael Jackson,and you love
children including the good message he has been spreading please we beg you
in the name of God give anything to help a child and as you give you will be
richly bless.This home is no longer financaily bouyant few days of his death
so we need your assistance to continue this good work and also save millions
of lifes.

Michael Jackson will be happy even in death to this orphange home continues
growing this only can be done with your help and assistance.Make a donation
today and save a child

You can send your payment either via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFRER OR MONEY
GRAM TRANSFER to the chief accountant details below:

(1)Account officer name:
NAME .............Michael Enabulele
(2)Receiver's Address: 14th Floor 51/55 Broad Street , P. M.B 12147 Lagos -
Nigeria.
(3)COUNTRY....... NIGERIA

After transfer you are advice to email the transfer below informations to
this office.

Your transfer informations should include:

(1)Sender's name as used in transfering the fund:
(2)Senders Address:
(3)Amount Sent:
(4)Money Transfer Control Number or Reference Number(M.T.C.N)
(5)Text Questions:
(6)Answer:
(7)You can also attach slip of payment:

We will be glad and apprecaitive to see your positive response.

Best Regards
Laryy Musa

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  03:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry is everywhere now a days. Nigeria

Should I send USD or Euros?

Lest we forget. God Bless Ed McMahon, Billy Mays and their families too.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  04:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dog, That's Larry with 2 y's. (tres chic!)

If I donate all my winnings over the years from all the stuff I have won, inherited, helped to clear through bank accounts,etc from Nigeria, it would probably keep the state parks open here in California.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  11:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

As regards to posting videos on you tube, I guess most of us here on Taro Patch do indulge in a bit of shameless self promotion, if guess. After all, something compels us to record the videos and make them available for viewing by strangers all over the world.

not me Aunty ... das why i make 'em private.

John/Keonepax - I really wasn't directing my opinion at anyone in particular and especially not you. It was more a reaction to the general trend. You may think me "cynical", but is it that far fetched, in a time when careers can be made based on being a featured video on youtube and going viral, to think that some person may try to turn his death into a means of generating attention for themselves?

Go to Top of Page

keonepax
Aloha

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  03:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's going to be opportunists and parasites in any situation. Human nature can suck sometimes.

But your initial post included the phrase "everybody who thinks they're somebody" and "shameless self promotion." That seemed like unnecessary digs at people who have posted videos on YouTube, especially since you later claim you meant no one in particular.

Are we watching the same videos? All the videos of recent MJ covers that I've watched have struck me as sincere expressions of love for Michael and his music. And if you read the comments left on these videos, many of the viewers have thanked the maker of the video.

I really appreciate everyone who has posted a recent MJ cover. I don't see a "shameless self promoter" among them.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  04:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I couldn't agree with you more. Your "One Day in your Life" video is absolutely beautiful. Nothing shameful or shameless about it. I especially like the birds trying to sing with you in the beginning. In fact I admire all the members videos, even the ones that are entitled "Slack Key" something or other and turn out to be sung mele with taropatch tuning accompaniment. Not Slack Key. Not shameless self promotion. Just expressions of the music we love.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Planned for my Hawaiian-music radio show this weekend, a set to include:
"Man In The Mirror" from David Kamakahi
"Thriller" from Jake Shimabukuro

Anyone know of a third MJ song recorded by a Hawai`i-based artist?
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  06:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keonepax

Yeah, there's going to be opportunists and parasites in any situation. Human nature can suck sometimes.

But your initial post included the phrase "everybody who thinks they're somebody" and "shameless self promotion." That seemed like unnecessary digs at people who have posted videos on YouTube, especially since you later claim you meant no one in particular.

Are we watching the same videos? All the videos of recent MJ covers that I've watched have struck me as sincere expressions of love for Michael and his music. And if you read the comments left on these videos, many of the viewers have thanked the maker of the video.

I really appreciate everyone who has posted a recent MJ cover. I don't see a "shameless self promoter" among them.

quote:
Originally posted by keonepax

... Human nature can suck sometimes ...

What do you mean? That's like one of his best songs.

Anyhow, again it was nothing personal against you. You seem to take taken this personally, and again, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was just a comment about the trend of making Michael Jackson centric videos, both cover songs and vlogs. This trend seems to have been slowing down since the initial period following his death and the youtube front page feature is no longer there.

I mean I am sure there must be a significant group of people that want to be bombarded with news reports about his death and the surrounding hoopla for one reason or another. There was a statistic that 60% of media coverage is devoted to him now.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  4:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Media are to blame for making a human's passing a cartoon show.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000