Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  8:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  11:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy smokes Oz It's really been that long since I've seen you that I didn't even know you were about to release Volume II? Congratulations on the release of your new DVD & much success with the sales.There's no doubt many will benefit tremendously from "Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Volume II" I can't believe I catch wind of it here & now...SheeeshNeedless to mention to all you potential consumers that for the price of one private lesson with "The Wizard Oz" you can now purchase a 2 1/2 hour instructional DVD with "Must have" information. With a private lesson you can only absorb so much despite Ozzie being the ultimate kumu, with the DVD you'll have unlimited access and best of all learn at your own pace. Perfect Christmas gift for any & all aspiring slacker....Don't know if my opinion carries any weight but I'll highly recommend it sight unseen just based on knowing Ozzie and what he's about.....Note: Included on the DVD is "Waikahe" which is an original composition by Ozzie's that he wrote to showcase the ki ho'alu techniques Ozzie refers to as "Slurs" It is a subtle technique used almost only exclusively by the elite ki ho'alu players. If you are able to incorporate it into your slack key it will totally change the quality of your ki ho'alu sound.The opportunity to learn this technique alone far exceeds the purchase price of the DVD.

Hey Ozzie "Furlough Fridays" must've opened a window of time for you to finish up this project.huh? I seem to recall it being on the shelf for a good while. Can't express how delighted I am for you on it's completion......Best Wishes through the holidays and I'll see you very soon my friend

Wit' Choke Aloha
Duke

Ps: Welcome to Taropatch

Edited by - sirduke58 on 12/21/2009 11:24:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  07:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Duke!
Sorry to spring this surprise on you - I wasn't really sure about releasing it as one dvd. The major reason was a statement that nobody sits and watches a whole instructional dvd - that was not the intent and the reason for the length is because of the way I go through the song and the points I try to make. Thank you for the kind words and I really miss seeing you guys - too long but we all busy. Just back from performing and teaching in Hilo. I can hardly keep up with my email and facebook but I'll try and reply to as many messages as I can. Happy Holidays to you and your ohana!
Aloha, Oz

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  07:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!!! Ditto what Duke says on the "Wizard of Ozzie" as far as a single private lesson is concerned and I have been blessed to be able to arrange more than one.

Ozzie,
I meant to go by your place and pick up an advanced copy two weeks ago (I was working on Oahu again) but the soldiers at Schofield kept me real busy. I'll tell my wife what I want for Christmas and expect it after the New Year. I absolutely love your latest record. Would love to learn more C Maunaloa songs.
E Malama Pono E Mele Kalikimaka,
CAPT Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  09:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One more accolade for Mr. Kotani. His artistry exceeds even the marvelous material he has released on his CDs, and his ability as a teacher is among the greatest I've ever encountered. If all my teachers in all my subjects had been as knowledgeable, thoughtful, and committed as Ozzie I'd be a lot smarter now <grin>.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  10:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Mike and Fran,
Awww shucks - you guys are too kind! I'm humbled by your kind words and I realize that it was easy to share with both of you. You both are very competent and talented and I appreciated the opportunity to work with you.
I only teach well because I've learned so much over the years from the numerous students I have had and the input they have given me. I still learn something whenever I teach - some variant in a chord or phrase - you never know where the next little nugget or gem will come from.
Thank you very much! I just tabbed Mahina's Trot and Liloa's Mele to introduce Sonny's syncopated bass to my students in Hilo - it went really well! Think I may start to create some new tabs again - there's so many great songs!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  06:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Oz,

If you run into storage space limitations for the new tabs, I can help you store them.

BTW, I ordered the new DVD a couple of days ago!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo nui loa Dusty and it was great talking to you last week. Wishing you the BEST always with Warmest Aloha. I will follow up with what we discussed over the phone!

me ke aloha,

Oz

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Ozzie, I'm in. Thanks for all of this.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a great kumu is he. But more than that, he is a nice man. Choke aloha. So all you guys, buy, buy, buy. Buy tree or fowah.

E komo mai, Ozzie.

And Happy Holidays to you and your `ohana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo nui loa Chunky Monkey and Wanda. Hope everyone has a beautiful Christmas and a slack key filled New Year too! Thank you for the warm welcome to taropatch.net. Now, because I procrastinate, I have to run out for some last minute shopping!!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  04:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ozzie,
Mahalo nui loa for your new book! I just ordered a copy for us (we wouldn't miss it!) and it's truly a delightful "Christmas surprise" for us. You are so talented at teaching what you know, it is a gift to us all -- ditto what Fran said. And I hope you *will* be encouraged to tab out more material; your tabs are so clear and helpful.
Mahalo nui for all you do!
Happy Holidays, Ozzie, and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  07:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Sarah and Reid,

One of the greatest things that ever happened to me has been meeting wonderful, gifted people like you through music and I am forever grateful for that. My memories and aloha are deep and treasured. Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou. Please let me know how I can improve upon my work when it strikes you.

me ke aloha pau`ole,

Oz

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received the DVD and gave it a quick look. It's pure Ozzie! It's very much like being in a workshop with him - although not as much talk story. On first inspection I am very impressed.

The tabs are the usual Ozzie type of tabs with no timing indication. However that shouldn't be a problem since he explains them fully in the video. I know that his philosophy is that you need to see his explanations either on the DVD or in a workshop to make proper use of the tabs. This is why he recommends AUDIO recording of his workshops.

Mahalo, Oz.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just saw that Vol. 2 DVD is out this morning...
and it's ordered-- too late for Christmas stocking, but it'll ll be a great way to plunge into the New Year.
Mahalo Ozzie.
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received my DVD today. Wow, It really solidifies what my slack key teacher has been teaching me this past year. I am a new guitar player so I get a bit overwhelmed at times with some techniques.

Now I am able to re enforce what I have been learning. For me the ability to watch and listen and pause the DVD really helps my learning curve. I love the teaching style. Now I hope I just can get more bettah as I play on.
A Big Mahalo to Ozzie for sharing his passion of Hawaiian music & techniques of Ki Ho alu.

Judy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000