Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  03:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Ozzie,

Andy told me this would come out soon, so I am thrilled to see the DVD, Volume 2 is available! Just ordered mine last night.

Sarah and I realized earlier this fall that she has learned 3 of the your slack key arrangements from your "Ho'ihi" album and I have learned 3 different ones from "Ho'ihi" as well. (Sarah plays Wahine Slack Key, Midnight Hawaiian Serenade and Holomua - I play Mele O Namakelua, Old Timer's Hula and Music for Dreaming)

Between the two of us we can eventually cover the entire album - Hey, we may live on the East Coast, but the sounds of old-time slack key are being heard! Mahalo for the album that we love so much and for the newest DVD with tabs to show us the way, Ozzie!

me ke aloha, Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  9:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad to hear the old songs are playable Claudia - it means a lot to me to know that the traditional form is still appreciated and enjoyed. Now, I wish more of the younger players would take the time to learn and play some of these pieces - they may think it's a walk in the park and pose no challenge for them but that is totally not the point in learning them. It is to understand and appreciate what slack key is, who played it, how it was played, in what tunings. Along the way, one begins to internalize the characteristics of the style and it influences their "sensitivity" to treatment of compositions and arrangements. Unfortunately, these "foundational" pieces are bypassed by some seeking more virtuosic statements and call what they put out as slack key while they are only playing in alternate tunings. I hope my work helps perpetuate and keep slack key uniquely Hawaiian as it should be.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Patch, Ozzie.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hesitant to order...so many things on my list, and in my stacks.... but being a "Z" head, I had to go ahead.
It's really well done, and with the printable tab, you can dig in quickly.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  5:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie loves the video, if only to see and hear our friend, Ozzie. But moreso, for the gentle teaching methods and the obvious love for true slack key music. There are so few who malama the music the way you do, Ozzie and you will have my eternal gratitude for that.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Ozzie,

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
quote:
Now, I wish more of the younger players would take the time to learn and play some of these pieces - they may think it's a walk in the park and pose no challenge for them but that is totally not the point in learning them. It is to understand and appreciate what slack key is, who played it, how it was played, in what tunings. Along the way, one begins to internalize the characteristics of the style and it influences their "sensitivity" to treatment of compositions and arrangements. Unfortunately, these "foundational" pieces are bypassed by some seeking more virtuosic statements and call what they put out as slack key while they are only playing in alternate tunings. I hope my work helps perpetuate and keep slack key uniquely Hawaiian as it should be.

Thank you for saying this, Ozzie. I really appreciate how you express this point. Mahalo nui.
aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Ozzie,

I'm so pleasantly surprised to see you on the 'Patch. We're lucky to have you share your mana'o.

Ditto to what Sarah mentioned above. Your work and dedication over all these years are definitely preserving and perpetuating the Hawaiian slack key tradition.

As you know, I am very grateful that you and a few other slack key artists/teachers have been so open in teaching slack key--not just the technical guitar parts but also the Hawaiian values, history and traditions behind it.

I grew up in an era in Hawaii when slack key was still kept very secret (BTW it wasn't that long ago), and we tried in vain to emulate the slack key style in standard tuning--"Close, but no cigar." Auwe! With years of pent-up demand, many of us from that era regard the learning/playing of slack key as a privilege that few had access to. We view the tradition with great respect and cultural significance, and not as a cool way to play the guitar in an alternate tuning.

I also greatly appreciate the fact that you have taken the time (with little or no compensation) to create a treasury of tabs, along with instructional books, CDs and DVDs, to help us mainland guys continue learning where one-on-one instruction is few and far between.

My gratitude and respect for you as a teacher, artist, and most importantly as a person, is immense.

Much Aloha,
Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 01/03/2010 08:34:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  9:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ozzie, What a great Christmas present. I am ordering mine today. Mahalo nui loa for all you have done to help me learn. Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the warm aloha and the kind messages - I just got my computer back and can post again. I appreciate the comments and hope to answer any questions posed regarding the DVD or slack key in general. I am considering posting some new tabs just to share - probably on my website but am open to suggestions. So great to hear from friends I can picture so clearly - I am lucky to have met many if not most of you!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  07:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie, I know you've been swamped by requests, but since you asked, I'd like to see tab for your arrangement of "He 'Ai Na Kalani". I love your version and have tried to assemble my own interpretation based on your CD. Thanks. BTW, the DVD is top-shelf stuff.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 01/12/2010 07:23:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ozzie, your model of excellence and Aloha continues with this latest offering. Love the song selections and your great teaching style. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  9:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry but I have not tabbed "He Ai Na Kalani" - I was thinking of sharing one of two Sonny Chillingworth songs I just created - Mahina's Trot or Liloa's Mele - both of which feature his signature syncopated bass line and are very playable. The pieces take me back - Mahina (Sonny's daughter) was little then.
Chunky Monkey, if you ever come to Honolulu, take a lesson and I'll be happy to show you how to play that song.
One section of the DVD goes into bass patterns so one can relate to what Sonny is doing in either of the songs.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  06:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie,
I would love a year of lessons. I will contact you if I ever make it to Oahu. For some reason, in 19 trips to Hawaii, I've never stayed on Oahu. My loss. Next time
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One lesson -- just one lesson, from Ozzie is very much worth the trip (speaking from personal experience)

Ozzie,
I have grown out my thumbnail, no longer use a pick, am paying more attention to the different sounds produced with my thumb, and it has made a world of difference in my playing -- at least to my feeble ears.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  07:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ozzie,

Yes, I have always loved that bass pattern in Sonny's songs, so I taught myself Mahina's Trot last year.

It would be terrific to peek at your Liloa's Mele tab , so I vote for Liloa's Mele to be the next tab on your website!

Mahalo nui loa for your generosity in sharing your song tabs. The last tab you posted on the website (Music for Dreaming) gets alot of exposure around here - I play it for friends every chance I get and also for the dancers as they warm-up at our Halau I Ka Pono rehearsals.

me ke aloha, Claudia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000