Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Songs with "Ano ahiahi"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Hawaiian poetry, there must be something special about the evening time, ke ano ahiahi. There are many mele that sing a bit about that time of the day.

He Lei Na Ke Aloha
He lei mai nei kou o nei ano ahiahi

No Ke Ano ahiahi
No ke ano ahiahi, ke aloha la

Kealoha
He ala onaona kou, no ke ano ahiahi

Ahi Wela
I lei ho`ohiehie, No ke ano ahiahi

Is there a reason that so many mele use this phrase? Is there some kaona behind it? Is it just the favorite time of day? What is the significance? If I have learned anything about Hawaiian music, it is that each word in a mele is there for a very specific purpose. The choice of word was not made lightly. Is it that as dark time comes and cools down the air, other things might be heating up?

Any thoughts or discussion thereupon would be greatly appreciated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evenings not just important in Hawaiian music Auntie! "Just a song at twilight" - Love's Old Sweet Song, "In the Evening When The Sun Goes Down", "In the Evening by the Moonlight", all old oldies! There are many more. Before there was air conditioning, as the temperature began heading for reasonability, folks would go out on the veranda and relish the outside, couples would court and spark, etc. There also comes a time, here on the mainland, just about sunset, when the wind dies down and everything get still (except for the mosquitos). It's magic, especially in the wilderness! With the advent of TV, air conditioning & all, people have forgotten what a magic time twilight is.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Don't you hate to see that evening sun go down?
Don't you hate to see that evening sun go down?
Don't your home feel lonesome, when your baby's not around?"

-----Brain Cloudy Blues, among many others.

Sorry Jack, just couldn't resist.

Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Don't you hate to see that evening sun go down?

Then again, we have,

"Test me, test me,
Why don't you arrest me
Throw me in the jail house
Lord, until the sun go down, till it go down"

......Bertha; lyrics by Hunter, music by Garcia

Larry

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Elton John made one mele about "don't let the sun go down on me".

Do any of yunz know any more Hawaiian mele about ano ahiahi?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  1:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Auntie, I think Gabby and them did "Pua Mohala" early 60's
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/gabby+pahinui+%26+sons+of+hawai%60i/gabby+pahinui+with+the+sons+of+hawai%60i/
One verse says something like:
"ho`onanea ho`i ka nohona me kaipo i ke ano ahiahi"
Don't trust my transcription. Or my translation:
"...enjoying remaining with the (my) sweetheart in the evening time"
Sumpin' like that.

Brothers Caz sing about "ke kai hanupanupa i ka pili ano ahiahi":
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/brothers+cazimero/best+of+the+brothers+cazimero+vol.+ii/
They're singin' about the "surging sea". You can add that one to your kaona list.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I think Elton John made one mele about "don't let the sun go down on me".

Wanda, do you use the Google "site:" limiter?

site:huapala.org "ano ahiahi" pulls up a very interesting list, "Hilo March" for goodness's sake!. Good tool for a researcher.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/12/2010 09:24:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  03:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran - I never heard of Google site limiter. Come, come tell all about it. Sounds like something very valuable.

Remember just me and Paul at home with Judge Judy and Judge Mathis or Emeril on the TV, we learn nothing about the real world.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  03:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aunty W, when you do a search you can use "site: <website url>" as an addition to yourquery to specify search results from a particular site. example:
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  08:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Shawn. Auntie learned something new today. That is a GRAND idea and so helpful. Them google guys, very akamai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  08:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only thing - I do not get the same search results as Shawn but you can see that I did not get all kinds of stuff like usual with google. But I wonder why I have different than Shawn. I did the same as what he had above. But still, the fact that it limits is a great idea.

Search Results

1. No Ke Ano Ahiahi
No ke ano ahiahi ke aloha la; I ka hali`ali`a `ana mai; O ko`u la heo keia la; Ke lu mai nei na pe`a; Ke hiu nei ka heleuma la; Ua kau e ka hae mahope ...
www.huapala.org/No_Ke_Ano_Ahiahi.html - Cached - Similar
2. No Ke Ano Ahiahi
No ke ano ahiahi ke aloha lâ; I ka hâli`ali`a `ana mai; O ko`u lâ heo kêia lâ; Ke lû mai nei nâ pe`a; Ke hiu nei ka helêuma lâ; Ua kau e ka hae ma hope ...
www.huapala.org/No/No_Ke_Ano_Ahiahi.html - Cached - Similar
Show more results from www.huapala.org
3. Stephen Inglis: Albums
At present site of the Honolulu Zoo parking lot, there once existed an island .... View lyrics at huapala.org. 15. No Ke Ano Ahiahi (vocal). Traditional ...
steveinglis.com/albums/mahina/?lyrics=1
4. No Ke Ano Ahiahi - Straight Dope Message Board
A friend of mine asked me to look up the lyrics to No Ke Ano Ahiahi (In the Evening Time), ... http://www.huapala.org/No_Ke_Ano_Ahiahi.html. Woo hoo! ...
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=1641549 - Cached
5.Huapala.org - Hua Pala Hawaiian Hula Archives
Dec 1, 2009 ... Ahe Lau Makani - Lili`uokalani; Ahi Wela - Lizzie Doirin & Mary Beckley; *music note*Ahulili - Scott ... *music note* `Ano`i Pua Kaimana - John K. Almeida & Randy Oness ... HuaPala.org (registered and active website) ...
whois.domaintools.com/huapala.org
6.Ku Kino - Pipl Profiles
Ku'u lei o ke ano ahiahi. A he lei na'u i haku a lawa. I kahiko no ... [ www.huapala.org ] ... [ www.huapala.org ]. mu,oba,nga,Shs,ki,bw,go ku,mwaka ... This is the ultimate site for buying the music that you find here, locally . ...
pipl.com/directory/name/Kino/Ku - Cached
7. EKF :: Puke No'eau :: 'Ama'ama
'O Kahiapo kekahi o nā kānaka mahi'ai akamai loa o Hawai'i nei. Inā he pilikia ko kekahi me ka mahi'ai, hele lākou iā Kahiapo no ke kōkua. ...
www.edithkanakaolefoundation.org/.../152-amaama.htm - Cached - Similar
8. [PDF] Hawaiian List.2
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
"Ke Ano Ahiahi," "Puuonioni". Tone Art. A, B. 143. "Ancient and Modern Kawika". "Ancient and Modern Liliu'e," "Ancient Liliu'e". Huapala Studio ...
www.wesleyan.edu/libr/schome/FAs/Huapala_Records.pdf - Similar
9.hula, culture, and arts classes on the island of Hawaii
Aloha kakahiaka, a ka lā, ahiahi, etc. Pehea `oe `O ______ ko`u inoa `O ai kou inoa? 3) Vocabulary (vocal and hand motion) and ... li`a, ano`i. Mele no Hawai`i. 1) Ke Ao Nani practice. 2) Oli Aloha practice ... Hawaiian Music Resource - www.huapala.org. Hula Preservation Society Hula Preservation Society website.
www.kaahelehawaii.com/pages/classes_olelo_music.htm - Cached - Similar
10. Compositions by Liliuokalani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is now the site of the Lili'uokalani Childrens' Center. .... I ke ahiahi Pōʻakolu, It was on a Wednesday evening. Kuʻu ʻike ʻana iho, That tidings came to me ..... Ke ano laʻi mai nei ka ʻōpua, As the cloud bank reposes in serenity. Hai lohi ka manaʻo .... Tūtū (Granny) - Queen Lili'uokalani at Huapala.Org ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositions_by_Liliuokalani - Cached - Similar

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  06:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
first verse of "Ku'u Wehi O Ke Aumoe" written by Puakea, recorded by Keali'i on "Kawaipunahele"

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda. I don't think that ahiahi is necessarily used in song any more frequently than other times of day for any particular cultural reason. Ano seems to be most frequently use with ahiahi in song, but it can be and I have seen ano kakahiaka, too. The Hawaiian dictionary notes its use with kakahiaka as rare.

There are a number of words that can be used to designate a period of time. I'm particularly fond of "kau ahiahi" in particular contexts and have used it in at least two mele I've written. it imparts a different feel, and because of dual meanings has a second meaning that will cause me to use it in particular situations where that second meaning is applicable. I'd rather not say what that is at this point; it's a little momi (pearl) that I figured out on my own and had confirmed by a colleague a few years ago.

There is so much vocabulary available to haku mele in regards to times of day, and it's kind of sad that so many modern songs just use the Hawaiian "equivalents" of our English language terms for those kinds of day - kakahiaka, awakea, 'auinalā, ahiahi, pō, sometimes aumoe. I particularly love the vocabulary that can be used to describe the time before and after dawn, both explicitly and implicitly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000