Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Portland OR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q for the Pacific NWerners.

Is there any Hawaiian music in Portland?

Just curious.

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  3:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an annual ukulele festival in Portland for a few years running, but I think they cancelled it a few years ago and it has not been revived yet. Led Kaapana came to Eugene last summer, not sure if he made it to Portland.(I sure hope he comes back this summer!!!) I also think there might be an Aloha Festival near Albany each year, but I'm not sure.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  6:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much, if any, that I know of. There is a Hawaiian population in Vancouver, WA that has a festival sometime in the summer, and several friends of mine play Hawaiian music and hula in Eugene.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn - if you're headed to Portland, Seattle is a 3 hour drive from there, and there's lots of Hawaiian stuff going on up here. I can talk to you about it when i get to Oahu next Thursday (4/7).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  7:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kekui Foundation has been promoting many aspects of Hawaiian culture throughout the year in Vancouver-Portland ... they are the group that sponsors the huge 3-day festival in late July: http://hawaiianfestivalpnw.com/

The Portland Ukulele Association (PUA) is very active, but not necessarily Hawaiian: http://www.pdxuke.org/

There are also at least a couple Hawaiian eating spots in the area.

With all of this, there's bound to be Hawaiian music around...unfortunately, I can't be more specific about where it might be.

Don
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  03:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks guys. I was just curious because I saw this wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Oregon

Portland sounds like a hip place.

@ Jack: Hey man, I'm still out of the country and won't be back to Oahu until July at the earliest. Definitely miss being home and playing with and the rest of the guys.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Portland is a great music town and a hotbed of traditional American music - old timey string band, bluegrass, Cajun, contradance and country (the Carter Family, etc). Shawn, I'm gonna miss you next month, too.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000