Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Interest in subscription video workshops?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimscottjr
Aloha

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  06:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimscottjr's Homepage  Send jimscottjr a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many of us are too distant to attend performer workshops, although I for one would very much enjoy having access to regular workshops.

An idea I have been toying with for several months is trying to get some of the name performers to video, on a regular basis, the workshops that they are already giving, and share these video's by subscription on the internet. Don't even know if it's technically feasible, profitable enough, etc., but it certainly would be interesting to me as a slack key student.

By way of crude market research, would there be any interest from other TP'ers in such a subscription service, and what might such a service be worth, cost wise?

Old Haole
http://www.haoleslackkey.com/

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  08:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI: Keola Beamer has taken this idea one step further and is offering 40 min web (skype?) sessions. It is too expensive for my budget but it would be great for those that can afford it. One would think it is merely a matter of time before other artists do the same.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/01/2011 08:53:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

jimscottjr
Aloha

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimscottjr's Homepage  Send jimscottjr a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The internet is going to do many more amazing things, and open up more opportunities to network.

I was thinking along the lines of Cyril Pahinui's weekly workshops. I would attend weekly, but since I'm in SLC and not Oahu, ...

But if I could even just watch the workshop, I would learn so much more than how to pick a string. Gabby Pahinui, in a video I saw a while back said the way to learn Slack Key was to watch - no questions, just watch. I assume that is how he learned, and ... well, I'm sure many other of the greats.

Just wondering and wishing. Since I use technology every day in my company, certainly looked like a nail for my Slack Key hammer.

Old Haole
http://www.haoleslackkey.com/
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, what you want would be bennificial an worth while...and cheaper too.

BTW: I not a subscriber to the "watch and dont ask questions" theory, nor do I find "jus press" helpfull, nor am I a proponent of playing things your own way when you dont have a clue.

My advice is to study the great slack key artists first by trying to copying them and by asking questions. Then, when that starts to get old, then you should go your own way. Otherwise, you have more chance of getting it all wrong and becoming just another haole that is "cockaroaching" the art.

Also, I am not by default claiming expertise in slack. I just think that what I wrote makes sense.

FYI: To all members
I changed my handle from Haole_boy to RWD today.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000