Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 August giveaway: win Leonard Kwan's red book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
It's hard to believe it's August already! In a month where many people enjoy the remaining days of summer with some time off from work, we'd like to encourage posts from all registered members.

Any lurkers out there? Here's a perfectly good excuse to post your first post. And you regular posters, you're eligible too.

Anyone who posts in the month of August will be entered into a random drawing to win Leonard Kwan's out-of-print Slack Key Instruction Book. Good luck and happy posting!

Andy

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  12:25:50 PM  Show Profile
But I have nothing to say!

Just as a clarification, did I just qualify or did you mean that one should start a new topic to qualify?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You qualified, Pauline.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  02:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello!
I just found you lovely people here tonight, and you are trying to give me something already? You are very nice people!
I just voted for my favorite logo-it had to be #1-beautiful artwork and the colors are great! I liked #12 as runner-up, also beautiful!
I can use the instruction-it's neat that it is out of print too, makes it more special! Thanks for the chance!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  03:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Barry, and welcome to TaroPatch! It's nice to have you here.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just an update. As of August 10th, 58 members (out of a possible 373) are currently eligible for the August drawing. Good luck and keep posting!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  6:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
Andy,
Great idea. I read this site on a regular basis and really enjoy the topics, but rarely post.

Leanard's book is one of the slack key books I started with and really enjoyed, after struggling with the tab for a while. When I had trouble "getting" some of the first pieces I jumped to the back and figured out Opihi Momona Nui. Wow is this a fun piece to play. It's a great one for getting comfortable with G-wahine tuning.

The only recording of this that I am aware of is on Leonards Red album, and I've only heard it once. I'm looking forward to the reissue.

If by chance I win the drawing, please draw again for someone who doesn't yet have this book.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

AngelicaJ
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  11:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I just found this site and I'm just thrilled. I absolutely fell in love with slack key last year when I stumbled across Ozzie Kotani's music at my local library. I bought his book about 2 months ago and am enthralled with it. I actually dream about the music. I've memorized the first 4 songs. I will be so happy if I can continue to add more of these songs to my humble little repertoire.

I've just picked up my guitar after a 15 year lapse. My other favorite music book is 50 Easy Classical Guitar Solos. I have a ton of other books, but these two are what I reach for most of the time.

--Angelica
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  12:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Ummmm - this works way differently than any forums I've ever used before! Hope I get things right.

I heard about Taro Patch from other folks at Keola's Aloha Music Camp. It was a LOT of fun, as always.

I've started a new folder on the Beamers and Aloha Camp in my Ka`ahele Hawai`i forum. So feel free to come on by and check it out. URL follows:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/kaahelehawaii/messages

A hui hou! Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  3:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha e Leilehua! Welcome to TaroPatch. And welcome back campers! (It was very quiet here while you were gone.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/17/2003 3:56:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  12:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Craig, that was because of the blackout. My cable modem got zapped. Now I will make noise as usual :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  12:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
The blackout did not affect the power at our place, but it did change up our weekend plans a bit. Got a phone call early Saturday morning because Keoki Kahumoku's flight got canceled so we spent the weekend with him. We had a great time hanging out, and Keoki is safely back in Hilo now.

On another note, as of 8/16, the chances of winning the Leonard Kwan book are 1 in 65. Pretty good odds!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  10:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I've been away for a while without computer access and it was great to get back to the TaroPatch.net and this chance to win a book. The Leonard Kwan book has some great slack key songs for whomever is the lucky winner!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  6:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Hey, I'd love to be qualified for this. However, what I really want is lists of tunings, especially if they are associated with any players. I wrote a book on tunings in general and I included over a dozen slack key tunings, plus tunings in other traditions. But I know that I am highly underinformed as to who plays in what. Any links for that, or does someone here know the real deal? Tell you what...I will provide a chart for any tuning with any scale on it for someone who gets me the info. PDF or jpeg formats are available, and if you specify what scale (by intervals if it is not named) I can place it there. Check out my website (yes, it is on the profile) for some good general information on related tunings. I'm not here to plug what I know, it is what I don't know that is important to me. Any scholars out there?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  7:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha e Patrick, and welcome to the TaroPatch! With respect to slack key tunings, while many players have a favorite tuning I don't know of any who only play in one. You might want to check out the liner notes for Dancing Cat's CDs (www.dancingcat.com ... all the notes are online). Most of the tunings are given for the each song.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  11:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
As of 8/29, I count 96 people eligible to win the Leonard Kwan book. Good luck! And for those who have not posted in the month of August, you may still qualify by posting through Sunday (deadline is midnight EST.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000