Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kumu Hula as recording artists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  1:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up here in Seattle we also have Aunty Manu Lono (formerly Uncle George Naope's assistant), who has recorded in the past.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuulei88

Kimo Alama Keaulana -- an anchor on the early 1980s LP "Cha-Lang-A-Lang" by the group Halona...
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Up here in Seattle we also have Aunty Manu Lono (formerly Uncle George Naope's assistant), who has recorded in the past.

Aunty Manu was also a member of Halona. There's an album I'd love to see issued on CD.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  03:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. No love for my boy Sam Bernard?

Now add one Kekuhi Kanahele. And then one Nani Lim Yap. And then the legendary Alice Namakelua.

Then Puanani Alama. (Pull out your old 49th State 45s.)

Has California forgotten about Torrance's own Kekaimoku Yoshikawa, a falsetto contest runner-up? Another falsetto contest winner: Bulla Ka'iliwai.

On my coast we had kumu hula Edwin Mahina Bailey and Manu Ikaika.

If you are going to include Bill Lincoln, then you should probably include Pauline Kekahuna and John Pi'ilani Watkins. To my knowledge, none of these three were kumu hula by the modern definition and process. And they had hula studios - not halau. But would there be a Merrie Monarch Festival were it not for the efforts of Auntie Pauline?

Even Aunty Genoa had a hula studio.

~ Bill

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/06/2012 04:35:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

Better check out Auntie Wanda's "Mele Monday" list for this week den.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Sam Bernard stuff was Norm Markowitz' doing.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I think that Sam Bernard stuff was Norm Markowitz' doing.

And probably from a recording that I gave him.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

If you are going to include Bill Lincoln, then you should probably include Pauline Kekahuna and John Pi'ilani Watkins. To my knowledge, none of these three were kumu hula by the modern definition and process. And they had hula studios - not halau. But would there be a Merrie Monarch Festival were it not for the efforts of Auntie Pauline?

Even Aunty Genoa had a hula studio.

~ Bill

Lots of love for Sam Bernard for sure, as you can tell if you visit Auntie Wanda's Mele Monday list this week.

I guess we need a discussion concerning when "Hula Studios" started becoming "Hula Halau". It's my understanding that Maiki Aiu Lake was the first to use the term "Hula Halau", or isn't it really "Halau Hula"? Thanks for the Sam Bernard, Bill. I cherish the gift.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

I guess we need a discussion concerning when "Hula Studios" started becoming "Hula Halau". It's my understanding that Maiki Aiu Lake was the first to use the term "Hula Halau", or isn't it really "Halau Hula"? Thanks for the Sam Bernard, Bill. I cherish the gift.

First, I am going to need to delete this entire thread when we're finished because there should be no evidence left behind of the sharing of copyrighted materials illicitly - even if those materials are out of print and the sharing was (as Basil would say) purely for "educational purposes."

As for the other issue, this isn't merely a matter of when the terminology kumu hula or halau came into usage. The terms leo ki'eki'e and ki ho'alu were created in the 1970s, but falsetto singing and slack key guitar already existed long before. This is not about the term kumu hula but about how the responsibilities of the teacher of hula may have changed throughout history.

It is not a distinction I have ever personally made. But it can spark heated debate in the birthplace of hula. I have referred to Louise and Luika Kaleiki (1970 Merrie Monarch winners) as "kumu hula", and I have been corrected that they were not, in fact, kumu hula but hula teachers. So, if we look at this with a researcher's eye, we can conjecture that a distinction is made between the skill set and preparation of the hula teacher and the skill set and preparation of the kumu hula because hula teachers and kumu hula coexisted in the same space in time and we didn't simply begin referring to the hula teachers who came before as kumu hula once term was coined like we did with falsetto singers and slack key guitarists.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

I guess we need a discussion concerning when "Hula Studios" started becoming "Hula Halau".
It has been my understanding that instructors who have not been made kumu (involving `uniki) by their kumu can not call their assemblage or teaching hale "halau." But these folks can call it a "studio" or "hula troupe," or some such thing.

Edited by - Retro on 02/06/2012 3:07:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  1:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Retro says, our little group of folks here in Northeast Ohio do not learn at a hula halau -- we are called Ka Hui Hula o ka `Aina Punahele. Our teacher here is `olapa with Aunty Mapuana de Silva and one of her very advanced students. She belongs to a special dedicated class of haumana, ones who have devoted a good 10 years of their life to studying with her. Some may "graduate" as future kumu hula and some may not. Even these advanced students have had 'uniki ceremonies to establish their blessing to teach students far away from Halau Mohala `Ilima. These methodologies have been passed down from Aunty Maiki Lake.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Add Tiare Noelani Kaaina to the list (formerly Noelani Chang of the group Kanilau).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000