Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  9:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
craig and maggie,

umm, gosh, it has been a long time since i looked at them. i didn't like either book at that point in my learning, and confused the reasons for not liking them.

anyway, you're right, it was mark and keola's book that i found confusing at that stage in my learning. i didn't like ozzie's book because it was too simple (it did have things i didn't know, of course). hum.

in hindsight and in fairness to mark, keola and ozzie, i think that the problems i had were mainly due to me. i was in a stage where i was trying to learn songs. i really liked mark hanson's book for that - it got me playing fairly complex songs, albeit with a lot of effort. it wasn't until later, with the prodding of bill (slackkey) pellazar and kevin (ohanabrown) brown, and a good lesson from mark nelson, that got me away from learning songs and into learning the music. that's what these two books are trying to do.

maggie, sorry for the brain fade. it's that wonderful time of the end of the school year where the brain gets overloaded.

mahalo nui loa for the help, craig.

keith

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 06/02/2004 9:36:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  01:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith and Craig:

Thank you both for your insight on all these instructional materials! You've been a wonderful resource for me! I think I'll be well equipped with all the materials I will need for the moment to be on my way to getting the basics down w/slack key. It sounds like if I had Ozzie's book from the get-go, I would've not been so frustrated with the others being so complicated (being a beginner and all). I will wait with baited breath for my book, but in the meantime practice, practice, practice with the stuff I have just learned on the dvd's. Thanks again for your help! I JUST LOVE THIS SITE!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  4:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My very first experience playing slack key, as well as playing guitar, was Keola's video tape. Stubborn polack that I am, i kept at it for about 5 months and finally learned one song. Then someone pointed out to me that I was beginning with intermediate-advanced materials. Since then it seems like it's been a whole lot easier ever since.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  12:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, some days seemed like I was a salmon swimming upstream. I didn't think I could ever do it. However, my vamps are sounding better and better, as I practice. I felt like Rocky today when I was able to get one down without a mistake! I bet everyone can relate to that one!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied and have been very encouraging.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

mikizkot
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  9:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first heard Mr. Kotani last year with Led Kapana. I have bought all albums that I can find that Oz has done but I cannot find my favorite tune. Forgive me, but nobody has ever done a more thoughtful version of "Danny Boy aka Londonderry Aire" than Oz.

Please, is there anyplace that I can reproduce the magic that I experienced in Tacoma, Washington last year?

Michael Russell
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie has not recorded that tune, but he did TAB it. You might email him and ask if he can give you a copy or give you permission to get it from one of us. It is "intermediate-advanced" but well worth the work.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  6:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to getting Ozzie's book. Just bought one from Hanson and one from Beamer. Saw the Ozzie listing but was not sure. This post helped me decide to get Ozzie's book!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, how do you like Ozzie's book? I too decided to get it a short time ago, based mainly on the comments in this thread. I've found it to be just what I needed, given my level of musical expertise. Quite a refreshing change from some of the other instruction books (not limited to Ki Ho'alu)that I've seen. And own.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

dave6082
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  08:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have Ozzie's current e-mail address? One given on site 'bounced'.

Thanks.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he is in the phone book in Honolulu.

I had the pleasure of taking a lesson from Ozzie a few weeks ago. He helped me recognize that I have a lazy thumb that doesn't play all the right alternating bass notes which give slack key that slack key sound and really does support the melody structure with its "backbone".

Now I am going back through Ozzie's yellow and Green book and concentrating on strengthening that "lazy thumb". It gives a whole new perspective to his book that I did not appreciate the first time through since I rushed it and did not critically listen to my own playing. Like many others I was more interested in learning the songs and not the proper technique. Now I have a bad habit that will be hard to fix.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 12/28/2007 06:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  05:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if Ozzie is still planning to release books 2 and 3 of this series?
Go to Top of Page

nando
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  10:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have two of these for sale in good condition. One with a cassette and one with a CD.
Let me know if you are interested.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000