Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mt Leddy

...he gives you songs in TAB which don't help with timing.
Not sure what Ozzie's class tablature looks like, but tab does provide the ability to notate timing, both through the spacing between notes (used in Ozzie's book) and through rhythmic notation (used in Mark Hanson's book).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

bcalkins
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlsulle

aloha and welcome bcalkins
You could contact Ozzie directly. He has hundreds of tabs and will often times be willing to share them. His email is oz1 @ gte.net and he will get back to you. Good luck. JlSulle'

Thanks very much! I'll try his email and let you know if I find it. BTW, your guitar in the photo looks awesome! We don't see koa guitars too often in upstate NY.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  1:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlsulle

His email is oz1 @ gte.net and he will get back to you. Good luck
Has anyone emailed Ozzie recently and got a response? I've sent him two emails over the past six months and never heard back from him.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I corresponded with Ozzie back in Novemeber to make sure he was okay with having his email address posted here.
quote:
Ozzie Kotani wrote:
I think it's okay to post my email address but it may be a while for me to respond at times...
All one can really do is be persistent yet polite keeping in mind that Ozzie is a very busy person working full-time, teaching, perfoming leaving little time to address emails after work.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  07:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Taro Patch folks -
I'm a long time (30 years) blues and Nashville style fingerpicker and thought I'd check out Hawaiian slack key. I ordered Ozzis Kotani's Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style book and it arrived yesterday - unfortunately, it's just not my cup of tea. I paid $27 for the book including postage - I'll sell it brand new in the box it arrived in for $20 postpaid to you. Anyone intested? Let me know at jkeeler @ conversent.net. Thanks. JK
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  10:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie's fine, he's been having some complications with his email.

:-D

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  12:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!

I'm a slack-key beginner (and an acoustic guitar beginner) and this is my first post. I'm really happy to have found Taro Patch!

I wanted to find out if anyone knew of what Ozzie's plans were for volumes 2 and 3 of his series. I just got volume 1 and I've found it to be an excellent introduction.

Also, as a service to those of you who have been searching for the book, it is currently available at http://www.overstock.com for $12.89 (includes the CD). If you're planning on buying at least $25 worth of merchandise, I suggest that you first go to http://www.rd.com and look for the Readers Digest discount coupon for a $5 discount at Overstock.com. I hope this information is helpful.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aloha ongchua, and welcome to TaroPatch! Last I heard Ozzie is working on Volume 2 and expecting it to go to press later next year (2004).

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 03/03/2004 5:19:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  11:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Craig! That's great news!
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  12:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Based on some posts I've been reading, it seems like Ozzie's book is a good one for beginning slack key students. Any insights from other folks who either have used his method of instruction vs. others out there will be welcomed. I saw it on Amazon.com for a reasonable price.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  12:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi maggie,

how are your guitar skills now? do you flatpick or fingerpick? what kind of music do you play best?

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Keith!

I think I just lost a rather lengthy reply to your question when I previewed it. Please let me know if you received it. If not, I'll try to reconstruct it again. Basically, I fingerpick folk and easy listening tunes (which has been an asset for me in order to play and learn slack key). Hence, my question about Ozzie's book and tape. I have recently the Kahumokus' and Patrick Landenza DVD's and had Keola's and Led's videos from a few years ago (a little harder to follow than the dvd's but good stuff). Just needed an opinion from anyone else who has these instructional materials as a comparison. I feel it will just add to the overall learning styles that are available. Whaddayathink?

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  3:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi maggie,

ah, okay, thanks for the information.

i think that ozzie's book is quite different from the other material you've mentioned. for the most part, it doesn't have complete songs. you know how a lot of slack key tunes have a theme and then variations of the theme? ozzie gives you the themes; it's up to you to develop the variations. a couple of years ago when i first picked it up, i was a bit disspointed because i needed help on creating variations. the basics are very well presented (ozzie is one of the best teachers around).

if you're just getting into slack key or want to work on constructing slack key tunes, i'd recommend it highly.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  3:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith:

Many thanks for your valuable input! I will at least know what to expect now when I start working from his book. I actually want to learn the basic fundamentals as well as getting to know more tunes, so this sounds perfect for a beginner like me.

Mahalo,
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  3:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Keith, are you sure you're not thinking of Mark Nelson and Keola's book? All the songs in Ozzie's book are complete, usually with variations. Mark and Keola's book, on the other hand, give you frameworks for most of the songs (a few are complete) and leave it up to you to build the complete song around the framework. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean by variations.

Maggie, the songs in Ozzie's book are more traditional and easier to play than the ones in Keola's and Led's videos (Ozzie gives a measure-by-measure breakdown of each song and even offers fingering suggestions). But they also accomplish exactly what you're saying in terms of learning the fundamentals and learning more tunes (nine in all).

On the other hand, if you've already mastered the songs in Keola's and Led's videos and want something more challenging I would try either Mark Hanson's book (complete songs) or Mark and Keola's book that I mention above. And Keoki Kahumoku's DVD, which it sounds like you already have, is probably the best source for fundamentals and exercises.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/02/2004 11:33:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000