Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 C. Pahinui tabs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  02:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Hello, Bonjour,
Do you know if a tab book exists for Cyril Pahinui's CD '6 & 12 string slack key' ?

Antoine 'Ilio Wela

Edited by - Antoine on 01/12/2005 02:20:34 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Antoine,
With the exception of a the OOP Hapa book, there are no TAB books of slack key albums. There are a few collections available -- look at the resources and learning materials section of this site for more info. Slack key for the most part is still a field where the material is passed on one person to another, or where you learn how to create arrangements from recordings. However, the material that is out there is all very useful and well done
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  09:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Raymond,
Thanks for these indications. As I told in my "Introduce your-self" post, I'm not a guitar beginner, but I sure am a Slack Key beginner ! I've learned by ear all the music I play today, mostly Ragtime-Blues (see my website). What I'm looking for is a book to start me up with this music, because I'm no longer so young to lose time as I did until now !
I think I'm gonna get Keola Beamer's method "learn how to play S-K guitar", seems to be one of the best of the kind, isn'nt it ?
And I like so much C. Pahinui music, that's the reason why I'd like to find some tabs from him.

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark Hanson's "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitars" has a transcription of Cyril's "Young Street Blues" from his "6 & 12 String Slack Key Album". That's the only transcription of a Cyril Pahinui piece in the book.

In my opinion it's an excellent book for intermediate players. It's a collection of transcriptions from various "Dancing Cat" albums. It has a nice variety of tunes in a number of different tunings. Here are some reviews of the book:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 01/12/2005 11:02:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gary; Hanson's book is the best for a complete workout - lots of tunings and many standards. I also like the way that he mentions measure number during the playing. I think Beamer's book is difficult for starting out. You may be beyond Ozzie's book, but I'd get it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  6:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't have an player experienced in slack key to sit with for a few hours, I would start out with Ozzie -- even if you get through it quickly -- help you avoid some potential "mistakes" which may become difficult to correct later on. For a really experienced player -- I think Hanson's book is fine, but also consider both Keola and Led video/dvd's.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000