Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 which one, finally ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  09:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha !
So the question is in the subject : what book should I buy to learn Slack Key, knowing that I'm already an advanced fingerstyle guitar player ?

Antoine 'Ilio Wela

Edited by - Antoine on 01/12/2005 09:59:02 AM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh, thinking about it, I realize that I haven't looked at any of my books or videos in the longest time! My first inclincation is maybe Mark Hanson's book because it gives you a variety of songs from various artists? But honestly, I should go back and look at what I have at home.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy, sounds like several players should choose Hanson's book. It's about easy to find in France, so I will begin with this one.

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Antoine, in another post you mentioned that you were considering getting the Beamer/Nelson book "Learn How to Play Slack Key Guitar". I think that is a good book if you're expanding your slack key repertoire or want to try different tunings. It has a lot of tunes but they are mostly short pieces, rather than full arrangements.

You said you are an advanced player who is just learning slack key. I would recommend either the Hansen book "Masters of Slack Key Guitar" or Keola's other book "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar". These are both for intermediate/advanced players. They contain full arrangements of slack key tunes. Both books have some really nice arrangments. I think it'll give you a lot of musical ideas about how to play slack key.

Here's a review of the Beamer book:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13

Keola Beamer also has some online intermediate level lessons available. I've never tried them but you might find them useful.

You also mentioned in another post that you will be share the stage with Bob Brozman later this year. You should consider getting Led Kaapana's Slack Key instructional video. It's available in PAL format. It'll give you a lot of ideas about improvising slack key guitar. I'm a big fan of Bob Brozman. His improvisational style is very compatible with Led's. They played a number of concerts together. I can hear some of Led's influence in Bob's playing.

Led video review:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 01/12/2005 11:22:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Gary,
I think you did understand my quest, searching for an introduction to Slack Key that allow me to catch the main technical principles and playing on by myself after. Presently, I'm working on "Lei 'Awapuhi" by listening to Brozman/Kaapana CD "Kika Kila Meets Ki Ho'Alu". It's not so easy cause I don't always hear what Led plays when Bob goes strong ... ! Also I'm not sure my fingerings are right. But that's the way I've always done to learn songs.
Aloha !

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  1:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It an interesting coincidence that you should mention "Lei Awapuhi". It's one of the the few tunes that I've tried to figure out by myself. I really like the way that Led's playing is so relaxed.

I was having trouble trying to learn it off the CD. The chords at the end were especially difficult. I finally worked it out after I got the performance video by Led and Bob and I could see what Led was doing. I have it partially tabbed out if you want to check it against your version. It might take me a one or two days to type up a clean, complete tab.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  6:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See also my post at the other topic
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  02:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gary,
Yes I'd like to see the tab when it's ready, so that I can verify I'm on the right way !
Thanks to you.

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000