Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Is Posting In "Broken English" a turn off?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 73

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Chris! You stay tell da trute. My Unco was policeman round pre-46. Side job he had, was one booze-bar. He own um in old Waiakea Town by Suisan. He had one "one-armed-bandit". Beautiful!! He wen confiscate from some lolo. Also had the Wurlitzer, beeg kine jukebox. Beautiful! Confiscated. After the beeg 46 Tsunami wave went through the bar, had kuka-pyla genu'wine okolehau and Cuba rum (I still get one quart with "Cuba" stamped unda'neet the bottle). Dasz how wuz, den, wit local law. Jus like Chinatown wen stay get Gung He Fat Choy and da dragon from da local Gung Fu dojo come by wit da dragon mout wide open fo "accept" da red envelope for "protection". Yeah, no!?! Our kumiai had okolehao, too, coming from "outsy sources".

Only wit pidjin can make ly dis..........
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting piece of case law regarding tax exemption on okolehao and fruit wines locally made in Hawai`i. The state had permitted an tax exemption of the 20% tax on liquor in order to offer a stimulus to local production of okolehao and, primarily pineapple swipe. The state upheld the exemption, but the Supreme Court reversed that decision as discriminatory.
----------------------

468 U.S. 263

BACCHUS IMPORTS, LTD., ET AL. v. DIAS, DIRECTOR OF TAXATION OF HAWAII, ET
AL.
APPEAL FROM THE SUPREME COURT OF HAWAII
No. 82-1565.

Argued January 11, 1984
Decided June 29, 1984

Hawaii imposes a 20% excise tax on sales of liquor at wholesale. But to encourage the development of the Hawaiian liquor industry, okolehao, a brandy distilled from the root of an indigenous shrub of Hawaii, and fruit wine manufactured in the State are exempted from the tax. Appellant liquor wholesalers, who sell to retailers at the wholesale price plus the tax, brought an action in the Hawaii Tax Appeal Court seeking a refund of taxes paid under protest and alleging that the tax is unconstitutional because it violates, inter alia, the Commerce Clause. The court rejected this constitutional claim, and the Hawaii Supreme Court affirmed, holding that the tax did not illegally discriminate against interstate commerce because the incidence of the tax is on the wholesalers and the ultimate burden is borne by consumers in Hawaii.

Held:

1. Appellants have standing to challenge the tax in this Court. Although they may pass the tax on to their customers, they are liable for it and must return it to the State whether or not their customers pay their bills. Moreover, even if the tax is passed on, it increases the price as compared to the exempted beverages, and appellants are entitled to litigate whether the tax has had an adverse competitive impact on their business. P. 267.

2. The tax exemption for okolehao and fruit wine violates the Commerce Clause, because it has both the purpose and effect of discriminating in favor of local products. Pp. 268-273.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  08:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--Einsteinpachi -----
No further elucidation of the term "boto" is deemed necessary as it was previously defined by our esteemed erudite scholar Sir Duke, whom by the way has researched quite extensively the term "boto". For others who remain untutored per the term "boto", I assure you that Dr. Sunrise has attained a Ph.D. in the subject matter of "boto" and is regarded as the world-wide expert of "boto", surpassing the knowledge-base of Sir Duke and Einsteinpachi. Therefore, statements such as "innocently clueless" should be considered as gross misrepresentation of his credentials in the subject of "boto"; more so when associated with "okole-how" and "swipes".
----- End Einstein

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/05/2008 08:47:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  12:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If no more boto, can get um in a can?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  05:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Paul, mo' bettah you talk to Wanda's people about "fruit jar" etc.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember small kid time, my daddy and Uncle Harvey pouring something into the creek and then takinn to the hills. Then next thing we knew, the "law" was there looking for daddy and Uncle Harvey. I think they stayed up in the hills for about a week. Was dry counties down there and I guess they were, ahem, thirsty. I'm not shua how many crawdads in the creek were killed. But I don't think they had a still. It was something they were cooking up that had raisins in it. I do not think it was rice pudding.

Plenny other people had stills, and for the most part, no law came. If the people down there were poor, no tax money to the town or county government, either. They really did not bother, too much about it. Periodically there would be federal guys - revenooers make some surprise visits. And yeah, mason jars were the container of choice. Nobody had those clay brown jugs like the song. Nobody had that, but they all canned fruits and veggies, so plenny empty mason jars. Also, they all grew corn in abundance, so easy for make the mash for the corn likker. Heck, they even nowadays sell cans of mash in the grocery stores. Perhaps that is how the hillfolk learned their chemistry instead of going to school? Learned engineering techniques from building the still; chemistry from the cooking, fermenting and distillation process. Learned survival skills from hiding out in the hills so the law would not haul them away. Learned supply side economics. Lots of important lessons there.

Like daddy gets mean when he is drunk.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/06/2008 11:36:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family made wine. Frequently refered to by other folks as "Dago Red". Ma talked about how good it tasted when they first pressed the grapes, and how bad it was after fermenting into wine. I recall a story about one of Dad's brothers getting drunk enough to get sick on his dad's wine. Never did hear what Grandma had to say about the deal. Some things wasn't said around us yuong'uns.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  02:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dis tread goin pau ip no mo postin. No let dis tread go makeh, I tot was goin set one recohd, yeah?

Tell us wot fort o July like in Hawai`i. Good holiday or bad holiday for Hawaiians?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  04:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not my mout droolin obah dat. Raw fish skeh me. Nevah like get no disease or anyting lidat. Cannot get fresh, fresh, fresh fish ovah heah. Who knows how old by time it gets to Cleveland. Cannot make out of local fish, because da mercury an oddah chemicals are bad.

I tink my Sam Choy cookbook have recipe for seared poke or some kine cooked poke. Got choke Sam Choy poke recipes.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  08:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Dis tread goin pau ip no mo postin. No let dis tread go makeh, I tot was goin set one recohd, yeah?

This thread's going to have a hard time beating the Seattle thread...that one's only got a couple more pages but three times the number of views!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/08/2008 08:56:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  09:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit cpatch,no need break record yeah,seattle had planny audience,but da ratio is da one,das da whole point,das why called talk story,and not read story. Nah only playin wit you,mama certo wen ask me why I been so quiet,well you just happened to post before me .Aloha braddah jay
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No dis tread not pau, jez restin. Diz iz won long distance race not won sprint. Anda journey haz brought togedda many pepo who woulda neva gotten togedda atal cept fo won chance fo wala`au wid da odda guyz ova da sea. Fo da laz tree weeks I've been so busy fo won sick guy.

Fo me, rite now I wen back to my office afta seven monts sick leave. I go back oni to find dey are doing major renovations to my bilding anden I gotto go move my office to da udda side of da music complex. Da fardest office away from wea my office stay. Hard yeah, nowadays I godda walk wid won cane. Da walking iznt so bad, da stumbling anden da fall, dat iz hard. I walk jez like won old man now coz of da chemo.

Yestaday I wen talk to Keola D who waz on sabbatical in Aotearoa, we both wen find get plany work fo do wen come back to work. So I can get jez da firz book out -- da metod won -- fo da guyz jez starting out I got ukupaila work to do diz mont. I wen finish alla da editing laz mont, dis mont is layout.

Doing da layout iz not so easy, it takes a lotta time anden. Da second won, da antology iz won of tree, gotta wait in line until da firz won stay pau yeah. Anden yestaday Keola wen go ax if need help on da `oleo Hawai` anden. Sheez toogood anden but I don't no if I can afford anymore delays. Dis tings gotta puka tru, bud dey gotta puka tru jez rite yeah. So I tink I'm gonna takem up on it bud da stuff has to happen reel faz coz schools gonna staht pretty soon.

Den laz week anden I had a request by HARAS guys fo help dem set da guidlines lidat fo da slack key award fo da Hoku's lidat. Dey wen ax a numba of teachas anden playas, "Aloha kâua you guyz, wot you tink..." So I godda get dat won done by next week. I normally work inda background but in my line of work diz iz pretty serious stuff-- about az serious as it getz --so I kenna takem lightly coz it might affect tings way down da line despite da best intentions. I no likem get F up, den slack key iz really gonna disapea. Da udda reason I wen back to my office iz dat get ea conditioner yeah, my house no moa, gotta open da windo, but wen get kona weda no mo wind blowing Kaneohe. so openin da windo doesn't help.

So anywayz da tred not pau anda race not ova until we say so. And nobody wen say itz ova yet, so brudda don't hold your bret coz you gonna choke. So you can eda help, oa go make trouble. But befoa you do eda won chai look at da list of contributas da Hawai`i, Mid-West anda Seattle guyz stay in dis to da max. Califrisco anden San Diego guyz not so much. Da east Coast guyz stay on vacation. Why not chancem, we not goin eat you guyz -- at least not nowadayz. We get plany poke an beah. We jez like talk story anden. So you kenna talk pidgin, so wot!! I don't think to many guyz care how you like talk story az long az you not putting anybody down. Datz wen it getz nasty and we don't want oa need dat hea.
PM

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keola would be home now, yeah? Hooeee, dat is fah away. I like dem kine tattoos dey have obah deah. I dunno if Keola like join us ovah heah, since he da `olelo luna. Wot you tink? He goin' wala`au or he goin' give dirty lickins us haoles makin mess o da pidgin?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/08/2008 11:29:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, I don't tink so. But Wanda like me he get plany werk fo catchup on. Let me tell you dat university werk sometimes iz quite formidable, anden wen you been out fo awhile n it piles up lidat you mite not be seen fo weeks.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  1:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, GuavaEd! Da pitchah of poke made me ono foa pickled herring (Norwegian breath mints), da bes' t'ing foa eat wit' pia an' crackers or hardtack.
Wanda, my family in da ol' country were 1) goat an' cow herders, 2) cheesemakers, an' 3) moonshiners only dey wen' call'em "brandvin".
Humanity, only da accent changes, life an' jokes da same.
Peter, what kine celebration you want when dis t'read ovatake da "Seattle Experiment"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 73 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000