Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Michael Jackson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now that he has passed on, seems like everyone who thinks that they're somebody needs to do a cover of a Michael Jackson song or some commentary or whatever.

It makes me wonder is it to honor him, or is it shameless self promotion to get in the Michael Jackson tribute box on the Youtube home page.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  10:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cynical me thinks the majority is shameless self-promotion. If one honored him, one would be aware that there is absolutely no one who can sound like or move like Michael Jackson. I hope the man gets some peace now. He sure did not get it in his life, the poor tortured soul that he was. I hope his children are young enough to be spared a tortured, weird life as well.

My oldest daughter (29) called me and asked me to find pictures of her when she was about 4 or 5 of her wearing her Michael Jackson t-shirt, along with her sparkly, glittery white socks and one glittery glove on her hand.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  10:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I just spent the morning hammering out Billie Jean on my ukulele......

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  11:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Piff,

Was it the Air `Uke or da kine? Maybe try a heart-warming version of Ben.

It's only shameless promotion if you put it on YouTube, but I'd love it. Gotta plug Dennis Lake.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 06/27/2009 12:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

It makes me wonder is it to honor him, or is it shameless self promotion to get in the Michael Jackson tribute box on the Youtube home page.
No way to tell. Could be a combo of both.

I was thinking this morning how David Kamakahi has a Michael Jackson cover on his newest CD released earlier this year.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  8:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only fame makes MJ a note in history. Get plenny kupuna known only to their ohana and friends that made a REAL impact on humanity. People, let's get real in our estimate of greatness. Sure, there was talent, but get plenny talent stay unrecognize. My opinion and $4 will buy you a latte.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  11:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sm80808. Of course it's self promo. Most youtube musicians do that. To get in the tribute box? Why not? But I think most people, 'somebodies' as well as 'nobodies', are just paying their respects to MJ's artistry by sharing their vibes.
Seems thumbstruck doesn't think much of MJ and how great he was or his impact, although news of his death was front page of many major cities on many different continents around the globe. It's great if you can affect your family and friends, but greater and just as real, if you can affect billions of other people as well.
Michael Jackson was an amazing artist, a freak of nature and a force that affected todays music world like no other. rip

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  02:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Ben. The first love song to a rat that I ever heard. I think that might have been one of the last movies I ever saw at a drive-in. It really was a pretty song, but RATS, yikes.

My daughter was quite put out because Farrah Fawcett is not getting the memoriesi, accolades and honor that she thinks she deserves and is being over shadowed by MJ. I am very sorry the lady had cancer. After all, losing my mother at a very young age (53) to colon cancer showed me the terrible suffering that many cancer patients go through with treatments and such. And she had cute hair back in the day that a lot of women copied. But I do not think she had nearly the impact that MJ did on pop culture.

Now I wonder if the Beatles music will be on the market.

Kory is absolutelu right about kupuna. That is why I like to document the history of the "unknown" kupuna.

Eh, Shawn. You got this ball rolling, but you did not share your opinions.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Ah, Ben. The first love song to a rat that I ever heard. I think that might have been one of the last movies I ever saw at a drive-in. It really was a pretty song, but RATS, yikes.

My daughter was quite put out because Farrah Fawcett is not getting the memoriesi, accolades and honor that she thinks she deserves and is being over shadowed by MJ. I am very sorry the lady had cancer. After all, losing my mother at a very young age (53) to colon cancer showed me the terrible suffering that many cancer patients go through with treatments and such. And she had cute hair back in the day that a lot of women copied. But I do not think she had nearly the impact that MJ did on pop culture.

Now I wonder if the Beatles music will be on the market.

Kory is absolutelu right about kupuna. That is why I like to document the history of the "unknown" kupuna.

Eh, Shawn. You got this ball rolling, but you did not share your opinions.

IRT the Beatle catalog: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/06/26/2009-06-26_michael_jackson_to_leave_paul_mccartney_famed_beatles_collection.html

That would be great if it is true.

On a musical level, I do like a lot of Michael Jackson's songs. He and his songwriters can take a lot of credit for the direction that pop music took in the 80's. Although, I see his impact on popular culture, I don't really get what the big deal is.

I think that the media coverage by both "old"(news channels, etc.) and "new"(youtube,blogs,etc.) is mostly opportunistic and disingenuous. For the old media, I can't help but think that it is the same people who made the man the butt of jokes daily by covering him like he was a freak show. Why does it seem like the same news organizations that contributed to his demise as a human being now want us to tune in to their tributes for him?

And for the "new media", there are many musicians/vloggers who genuinely love MJ's music and did covers or commentary or whatever prior to his death. That is cool.

But now that he has died it is "cool" to have an "interesting perspective" or cover his songs. If you truly love a song why only share it when the artist dies? Why weren't they a month/day/year earlier in showing their love?

Maybe the question should be "why do we love people more when they die than when they live?" (I think this applies to Hawaiian musicians that have passed on as well.)

Edited by - sm80808 on 06/28/2009 3:04:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn - you hit a very important point when you asked "why do we love people more when they die than when they live". I think that happens for several reasons: 1) we are ashamed that we did not do "enough" to honor the person when they were alive. It's an internal guilt thing. 2) The death shakes us up, we momentarily remember how fleeting life on this earth is, and we dodn't want bad karma for speaking ill of someone who has passed on. 3) After the person has passed on, we get our courage up to honor the person in one way or another. Maybe when they were alive, it was perceived that the person was no longer "cool", but after they die, we don't care any more how cool or uncool it is, we are going to say what we though. liked, etc., to honor the person. 4) As regards celebreties and the news media, its all about making a buck. The news media made money from reporting MJ's foibles. They made money reporting on his successes. They made money reporting on his death. Anything to make a buck, to sell commercial time, sell newspapers, sell magazines.

Please don't let your kupuna go from this earth without honoring them when they are alive. Let them see that you honor them. Let them know how much they mean to you. Document their history for your kids and their kids and so on. Write a history, even if it is just where they were born, who they married, what they did for a living. Document with pictures, scrapbooking, etc. You will be amazed at the facts you can find out and see how very little you actually knew about those who came before you. It saddens me to think that MJ's children may someday have to read about their father being a ridiculed freak. How sad that will be.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely stated Aunty. Me, I never listened to Pop or Rock much. Talent and discipline should be recognized, but humans are just humans, each should be noted for what they bring to party. Because of the nature of the world, many deserving ones go unrecognized.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  7:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I was thinking this morning how David Kamakahi has a Michael Jackson cover on his newest CD released earlier this year.

So does Jake Shimabukuro.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think we will all be overdosed in MJ's passing before too long. It's been such a media circus so far. I bet there will be a few Jawaiian covers.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  03:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

Maybe the question should be "why do we love people more when they die than when they live?" (I think this applies to Hawaiian musicians that have passed on as well.)

Maybe because it would be more insensitive just to ignore the passing of a person. The fact that his life was significant on so many levels requires some sort of retrospective. Look at how many people are upset because we didn't get a chance to spend the time recalling the life of Farrah because MJ's death overshadowed hers. So there you have both sides of the coin. Some people complaining about too much attention while others complain about not enough. As for me, I'm glad for the retrospective it's given me a chance to re visit why he impacted people the way that he did. I never bought a single album of his, but I can't deny that his life was very significant, and that his passing needs to be marked.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  10:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Maybe because it would be more insensitive just to ignore the passing of a person. The fact that his life was significant on so many levels requires some sort of retrospective. ...

My mom always tells me to buy her flowers now so she can enjoy them and don't worry about leaving any at her grave when she can't. Although that is kind of morbid, I think she makes a pretty good point.
Go to Top of Page

keonepax
Aloha

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  11:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who posted a Michael Jackson cover after he passed away, I feel I need to respond. I was deeply saddened by his passing and felt moved to do something and to express my feelings. For some of us, making YouTube videos is a means of expression. I chose one of his older ballads, one with the theme of remembering a loved one. Of course I hope I did a good enough job to move people and maybe share the feeling I wanted to convey.

"Shameless self-promotion"? That seems pretty cynical. When you guess other people's motivations, be careful... sometimes your judgment says more about you than anything else.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000