Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Portagee Jokes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Volcano
Akahai

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please feel free to tell me if I am out of line, but whenever I hear jokes like these, I insert my cultural group in place of the one being targeted. It seldom feels good.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend used to call them "man jokes" and just say "man" or "men" for the nationality. Among us Scandihoovians, the names are "Pete and Ole" or "Sven and Ole", among Finns it's "Toivo and Eino", Irish is "Pat and Mike" etc. Stupidity and ignorance are in great supply on the planet.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What do you call one Portagee on the beach?
Santos!

What does he call the guy standing in back of him?
Machado!
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for what it's worth, as Frank Delima (the king or portagee jokes who is portuguese himself) said, Portuguese is a nationality and portagee is a type of person. anybody can be portagee.

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  12:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Az y I stay proud fo be one honorary portagee princess annointed by Peter Medeiros. The vetting process was not easy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  07:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volcano

Please feel free to tell me if I am out of line, but whenever I hear jokes like these, I insert my cultural group in place of the one being targeted. It seldom feels good.

Larry, you're not out of line at all. We'll all view this kind of thing from the perspective created by our own lives and experiences, and I can respect how you feel about it.

I'm not personally offended, but that's just because I'm not a person who is easily offended by much of anything.

I'm as amused by these jokes if I insert any of my own poi-dog mix of ethnicities into them. And that's just me.

In your case, I can only recommend that you avoid reading a thread that will upset you, especially since the thread title is pretty clear in identifying the topic. You have the choice to view it or not, just as you have the choice to chide others or not for their own tastes in humor.
Go to Top of Page

Volcano
Akahai

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Retro, Thanks for the thoughtful response. I do understand very well where these jokes come from and how far back they go. I have seen Frank Delima and Andy Bumatai during my Honolulu days (also saw The Sons at Hanks). Ethnic humor in Hawaii is not at all the same as on the Mainland in that it is seldom mean-spirited. I think what struck me the most is that this is a Slack Key forum and the Portuguese were so central in bringing the guitar and uke to the Islands. Also in the few months I've been here, I've noticed that most participants are Haole from the mainland. I spend much of the year on The Big Island and so seldom hear ethnic humor or slurs of any kind. There is a wonderful Portuguese comedian in Volcano (can't remember his name off hand) who does the jokes but they are in a cultural contextthat belongs to him. He was the MC at our second annual Makahiki concert at KMC this year in Volcano and in that context I thought he was hilarious. I do, however, know some Portuguese who are very tired of the jokes.
Please, no offense meant, but hearing the jokes here somehow reminds me of when some write their posts in Pidgin. No problem if that's your culture, but it certainly isn't mine. I'm always flattered when spoken to in Pidgin but I'm also a bit flustered as it's pretty hard to understand and betrays my mainland backgrond. I have noticed that it's never been used to make me feel like an outsider or not welcome.
Anyway, I'm rambling now and probably have both feet in my mouth so I'll stop. If I have offended anyone, please accept my sincere apology.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, I'm rambling now and probably have both feet in my mouth so I'll stop. If I have offended anyone, please accept my sincere apology.

Not as far as I'm concerned. I think it's nice that we can go over this respectfully here at TP; it says a lot about the forum's participants. Just about any other board, you'd have all kinds of nastiness being flung at each other. Here, we all really just want to play music together, don't we?
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next year, leave that dam rock where it is. I don't need 6 extra weeks of winter!
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  03:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Larry, I have great empathy for your statement, but what family doesn't have light hearted banter and teasing around the dinner table. Should it be any different with "the family of man"? We all have our differences, but I think we should all be able to enjoy a good joke. I think that the good people of this board (and definitely you included) show us all how it can be done with respect and camaraderie for all.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Volcano
Akahai

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  06:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for allowing a dissenting view. I have no problem poking fun or having fun. It's just when one group gets singled out. Try taking all the above jokes and insert a Mainland minority.
Anyway, here's my joke: A car is speeding through the streets of Honolulu. He's spotted by a (insert Portagee, Filipino, Samoan, Haole or whatever) cop who calls it in on his radio. Another car responds and asks what cross street he's at. The first cop replies, Keoneleuakanakahonua. Can you spell that? asks the second officer. Uh, no says the first. The second replies, "Okay, we'll catch him at Henry Street."
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  07:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha-ha. We live on Henry St. here in Ohio.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  4:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

(insert Portagee, Filipino, Samoan, Haole or whatever)

My very Portuguese grandfather, born in Honokaa in 1910, would change the ethnicity of all portagee jokes based on the ethnicity of the listener. Of course, at family gatherings....all jokes were ʻportageeʻ jokes!

So....here is a family favorite:

There are 13 Santa Clauses standing in a row. Which one is the Portagee?

Heʻs the one holding the Easter basket.

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  5:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a Portagee joke.
Two Southern Belles were sitting on the porch. The first said, "My Daddy bought me this house."
2nd Belle;"That's nice."
1st; "See that Cadillac? My Daddy bought me that."
2nd; "That's nice."
1st; "See that herd of cattle? My daddy bought me those cattle."
2nd; "That's nice."
1st; "What did your Daddy do for you?"
2nd; "He sent me to college, where I learned to say 'That's nice,' instead of 'Up yours!'"
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 04/23/2010 5:59:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000